WHY ARE HE STEERING WHEELS ON THE RIGHT SIDE ON BOATS///////?

Mine is actually in the center.. IT USE to be on the LEFT but I moved it..

• fuzzy

On smaller boats, especially those with powerful engines & direct drive the motor torque tends to twist the boat to the left so sitting on the right has a compensating effect. Vee drives reverse this so driver's position is to the left.

So you can grab a beer out of the cooler while you steer with your right hand.

"Rules of the road" for navigation aids say "Red Right Returning" is for buoy lights and markers on the water.  See https://www.uscgboating.org/images/486.PDF

That might lead one to believe it is easier to see those items if the pilot position is on the right side of the boat or small ship.

Larger ships have a central position and lookouts, or several steering positions (on larger yachts, passenger ships, bulk carriers and container ships) are exceptions.  They "prove the rule".

They are Not, All.. My Dad's Chris-Craft had a LH wheel.

It doesn't matter, anyway. . Out on open water, really aren't "lanes" . Boats are supposed to bear right in US to avoid collision, but it isn't a hard and fast rule,like on a divided hiway.

Boats were made in Britain first.?  For them this was the right side to drive on.  It never changed as the water navigation laws were first created in Britain. If you can't adjust, then stay off small craft with a steering wheel and go to craft that has the steering right at the motor in the rear.(fishing boats)

They’re not. 

My first boat with an outboard engine had tiller steering and required me to sit on the right.

My next boat, a Fletcher Arrowsport, had the steering on the left. So did my river Thames cruiser. 

I’ve since owned or used many other boats, and on most the steering was either on the left or right. I have no strong preference as long as I can clearly see along the port or starboard side for ease of mooring alongside and for passing through narrow gaps. The only exception  for me is for RIBs where a centreline steering position gives better weight distribution.

• John

They're not, it is a manufacturers choice.

But the simple answer would be, in Britain we drive on the correct side of the road lolz

& Britannia rules the waves ha ha

• Barry

They aren't. My RIB had a central steering wheel.

They're not all on the right!  As a matter of fact larger vessels have the steering station midships.