Can my laptop play 1440p on a different monitor?

specs

Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz

Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

Intel HD Graphics 630 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

I have a monitor I can use that has the resolution of 1440p. My current laptop resolution is 1080p though, does that mean I can't use the other monitor?

Update

My monitor is running smoothly and everything is going right. I can watch 1440p videos smoothly and clearly on this monitor. It looks like my laptop can handle it! Thanks for all the comments!

The graphics card in your laptop should support the 1440 resolution. Run a cable and give it a go. I think you'll be completely safe doing so.

laptop will handle 1440p just fine over hdmi with anything other than gaming. Resolution does not require a lot of horsepower unless you are doing 3d imaging.

• ?

resolution is a per monitor thing. you can have a 720p monitor with a 2160p monitor, and the only difference will be that the screen content won't line up, between screens.

i hate that cpu its trash

A monitor that rated at XXX is able to play any resolution that is below that rating.  A monitor that is rated for 1440p can display 1080p (and any other lower resolution.)

However a monitor that is rated at 1080p can not display 1440p or higher.

Keep in mind that the video card also comes into this.  Each video card only has certain resolutions that it can display.  If your card is only able to display up to 1808p, and you attach a 1440p monitor, you still only be able to display 1080p or less on that 1440p monitor.

• P

The answer actually comes down to the specific model of your laptop, since it depends on what type of ports are enabled.

1.  Your laptop can support 1440p with the Intel HD.

2.   You laptop may or may not be able to support 1440p on the GTX 1050 depending on the port configuration.

If you have a display port it will typically support 1440p with the 1050 GTX.   However if you have a HDMI port(check version) and\or usb C(thunderbolt?) port it doesn't often support 1440p through the 1050 GTX, but the specific version of the respective port will determine the resolution it supports.

The other issue is that a 1050 GTX will often struggle with 1440p so it may not be something you even want to pursue with this laptop, but if you have a monitor you might as well try it.

no idea -- what do the maker's specs say?