Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

every few days when my budgie is in her large cage she will flutter her wings like a hummingbird. Why does she do this?

she is out of her cage for 1/2 a day

Budgies are from Australia and fly in very large flocks. They pretty much fly around all day unless they are eating or roosting for a while. Being keep in a cage it feels good to the bird to flutter and stretch it wings like our arms. I'm glad you let her get out and fly. They need to do this for health reasons. Good diet is essential. Fresh veggies like spinach, carrot, green beans and more. Make sure it has a mineral source, beak conditioner block,cuttlebone,fine grit and more. 

I have outdoor aviaries and my birds are outdoors all year. I have been breeding  Budgies and Cockatiels for over 30 years. I have cockatiels that are well into their 30's and Budgies that are now 6-7 years old. Good Luck!

If there is a male budgie somewhere in the house, she is inviting him to meet her for coupling. If you don't have a male, that means she needs to meet a male. 

Source(s): I noticed that kind of behavior with my female lovebird.

She's exercising.

To get exercise.

Exercise! Is she allowed out to fly for a few hours each day?

Probably wants to fly free.