Robert asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

If a horse is walking over railroad tracks how does it keep back hooves from stepping on it?

So let's say your leading a horse and your on a slow paced stroll. You both go over railroad tracks. Obviously the horse can see them coming so it steps over them but how does it know the back hooves it can't see won't step on the rail?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Finley
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your question doesn't make much sense. I've ridden my horse over railroad tracks. They are basically flat wooden boards embedded in crushed rock/gravel. That's it. What's the problem with stepping on a wooden rail? Nothing. It's flat. The horse steps on it just fine.

• 1 month ago

Dangerous to walk a horse over the ties, could get a shoe caught up in it. Most horses are very aware about walking over things, How high to step and placement. A person leading a horse needs to let the horse look down when stepping over things. Not perfect all of the time, this is when the handler can help the horse out with timing, speeding or slowing the walk.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

it doesnt. your leading it. you make sure it doesnt kick or step where its not supposed to. it really doesnt do anything "on its own" or you really should not be leading thst animal.

less put it this way. if I'm leading my horse behind yours and your horse "kicks" my horse in the head you going to say "it wasnt your fault" it "did it on its own"?

you could. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ever looked at a horse's tracks? It's basically a pattern of TWO hoofprints. A horse's back foot lands almost in the same spot where its front hoof was.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Horses know where their back feet are.

The horse will simply make each back foot land where the front foot was.

If, due to some freak of conformation, he can't do that (only ever seen one horse who couldn't), he'll adjust his stride length appropriately. 

• 2 months ago

Horses are designed this way !

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.