Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 2 months ago

Is all anime inappropriate?

I'm getting into anime... but i also don't wanna do something unhealthy to my heart by watching it. I know that it can be very inappropriate. I'm torn because I like it, and at the same time, i don't like some of the themes of it (sexually inappropriate behavior, gore, etc)

What does anyone have to say about this? (Please no rude remarks or fighting)

• John

no, not all anime is inappropriate. anime can be of any genre and for any age group. while there are a lot of shows with violence and sexual jokes, those are meant for teens and adults.  would stick with kids anime if you don't want more mature themes. shows like pokemon (specifically the sun & moon series and the currently airing pokemon journeys), kemono friends, and creamy mami are all good examples of shows i've enjoyed that are pure hearted and positive. i would highly recommend that you take time to research a show's content before you watch it to make sure it won't be upsetting to you.

I know what you mean! I'm a long-time anime fan, and I can easily say, the anime that aren't overly sexualized or gory are few and far between. But there's a LOT of anime out there, and though 99 percent of them are garbage, the other 1% is worth watching! Considering the number of anime available, the 1% still gives you a ton to work with. Check out the top rated on "myanimelist", a lot of the highly rated ones are pretty good. Here are some that I would recommend:

Lovely Complex

Orange 

Steins;Gate

Erased 

Fruits Basket (Theres an old version and a newer version that is currently airing. They're both good!)

Itazura na Kiss

The Promised Neverland 

Wolf Girl and Black Prince

Watch friendly shows like;

Toradora

Your lie in April

Forest of piano

Anohana

K-on

Angel beats

Flavors of youth

Definitely not! Just watch out what you watch in public, for example on the tv in the lounge room. If somebody just happens to walk in during the only small inappropriate scene in the entire series, then that's that. This happened to me, the first panty shot of the series and BAM!!! My Mom had a talk to me... it was not a good talk ok? Just be careful. 

• Anime is a medium just like "fiction novel" or "live action TV show".  As such, the content would depend on the individual series or genre you are talking about.  There is a lot of wholesome anime, including ones based on children's books.  There are even Christian anime series, most notably Superbook.

If you go onto Anime News Network, you can tell the "appropriateness" of each anime based on their "Objectionable Content" ratings.  

I really liked Hajime no Ippo (Fighting Spirit), The Secret World of Arietty (which is basically the Borrowers), Grave of the Fireflies (a sad, but epic anime), Case Closed (some episodes have murder - but it is basically a detective show, also known as Detective Conan

It's hard to locate good wholesome things as far as Japan is concerned. The USA has its share of foolish cartoons, but I think you can find more good classic cartoons

Forms of entertainment be what it is. Anime is just one form of such using the medium it can for visual and audio stimulation. The big eyes and hands. There's inspiration from Disney cartoons. Comics had their part in such too. How else do you express emotions and mood?

I concur with you that yes. There's anime out there that's just fandom garbage with extreme levels of "fan service." The thing is. There's also mild anime out there that's more family orientated. The Filmworks of Miyazaki-san are classics deep in lore and personal experiences. Anime is just a form of expression. There's many out there.

• Imp

I'll put it this way as somone who like anime. Most of it is garbage!

I think it depends on the series and what you see.  While most Anime that come out are  more  towards Teens,  and Young Adults,  there are many  anime that can cater to kids.  Depending on the series  it can be even more light hearted then what kids now a days are watching on Disney  Nick,  or Cartoon Network.

One of the easiest to find examples  is Hamtaro  which is about a Anime  Hamster  having fun with all of his friends.

Hello Kitty,  is  a Japanese  franchise that had an anime.

Lucky Star could possibly fall under this,  as it is about a group of friends just living ordinary lives as high schoolers.  

Do Ra Mi,  is about a bunch of kids having fun with Music and magic.

---

There is even more out there if you look for them, they can be  entirely fun to watch.

depends on what kind it is