What is your real name and why did your parent's give you that name?

My professor asked us this question in class the other day and we had to find out why we were named what are name is, sorry if that part is worded weirdly. She then instructed us to do a survey asking the same question to random people. I thought hey why not do this in person around campus and also online get more of a spread from different people. So if you could please help with this study that would be greatly appreciated!

I was named after my grandfather

My name is Kate. Thats the name on the birth certificate, it isn't short for anything. My parents didnt like Katelyn or Katherine so that's why.

My real name is Tommy.  (Ok, Thomas).  I am not named after anyone, my parents chose it randomly.

I was named JoAnne after the maid of honor and the best man at my parents wedding.

• Cathy

Catherine, because my 19 year old mother thought it was "the most beautiful name in the world."

my name is gabriel for no god damn reason