Difference between cartoon and animie?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

country of origin. in english, we say anime to specify a cartoon made in japan for japanese people. things like pokemon and sailor moon. however, to a japanese speaker, anime would mean any cartoon, even things like frozen or shrek would be called an anime film in japan.

people like to pretend that the art style or the way the story is told is what makes anime anime, but that's simply not true. there are plenty of anime that break the "rules" by being episodic in nature and having simple or toony art style. inversely, there are many western cartoons with stylish art and an overarching plotline, especially nowadays as the 90s and 2000s kids that grew up watching anime are now creating cartoons that air now.

• 1 month ago

All anime are cartoons, but not all cartoons are anime.

Anime implies a style of cartoon originating from Japan, and typically has a recognizable style consisting of big eyes and exaggerated features.

• 1 month ago

A cartoon is an animated show. Anime is a type of cartoon.

• 1 month ago

Depending on how much of a stickler you want to be, it could just come down to country of origin.  If it's Japanese it's anime.  If it's not, it's not.

But I think that's overly simiplistic thinking.  Anime originated in Japan, but it's had huge influence on animation artists all over the world now.  It's a style as much as a country of origin.  Most obviously, anime uses a much more dynamic style to it's action shots that, if you've ever seen a traditional cartoon, then watched an anime, the difference is absolute night and day, but I lack the artistic vocabulary to express it.

IMHO, anime is the style more than the country of origin.  But there are a lot of purists who will downvote me for saying that.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Animé is Japanese garbage that's the difference

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.