Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 1 month ago

Does being a billionaire entitle you to control and manipulate your financially independent disabled sibling’s finances?

I’m not a troll.  This is an actual question.  I don’t appreciate that accusation.  What about this question suggests that I’m trolling?

No. Net assets have nothing to do with legal authority over another's finances. 

• Amy

That would require a Power of Attorney, signed by the sibling.

Or a court order if the disability prevents the sibling from being legally responsible. But I take "financially independent" in your question to mean they are capable of managing their own money.

No.  There's no entitlement.  The disabled siblings can choose who they want to manage their money/bills, etc.  If they are unable to choose someone, then a parent has the right to choose.  Never a sibling.  If it goes to court, the court will decide.  Of course the sibling can ask the court but, ultimately, the court will decide.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

No.  It does not.

• fcas80

Entitled - no.  If the sibling is mentally impaired, someone would need a court order to control the disabled person's finances, but the court would not automatically approve the billionaire

reported the troll as always.

If the sibling was truly financially independent, then no one could control his finances. Billionaire or not