Has COVID 19 become less lethal?

Cases are up, but there do not seem to be as many deaths.  Have the doctors got a cure, or is the virus mutated to be less lethal?

Should they stop panicking and let it all run its course?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

1. Doctors are better at keeping people alive - a MAJOR lifesaver

2. Wearing masks allows for a small amount of virus thru which gives some people a small virus load allowing them to become infected yet recover

3. yes the virus is mutating

4. testing more shows more true cases skewing numbers.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First, let's use the correct terminology. It's clear you are asking about the virus. It's name is Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Therefore, if you are asking about the virus do not use the name of the disease it causes, which is Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).

There is no evidence that it has become less virulent. This may happen over time because viruses do tend to mutate. Plus, over time they often evolve to be less virulent because there's no point to killing your host. If you kill your host you no longer have a host.

The increase in the number of cases appears to be because more young people are being infected and this appears to be due to them not observing the appropriate precautions. Young people who has no co-morbidities seem to have a milder form of COVID-19 if infected with SARS-CoV-2. That explains why the number of cases has risen but not the number of deaths.

The doctors do not have a cure. Indeed, the development of one is most unlikely. We are able to treat very few viral diseases.

We should stop panicking because panicking does not lead to anywhere fruitful. We have to accept that our lives need to change until an effective vaccine becomes available.

If we let it run its course until enough people have been infected with it, recovered and are now immune so the population will have herd immunity is asking for too great a price. Too many people will die if we were to go down this route.

As winter approaches in the Northern Hemisphere we need to understand the best chance we have is our behaviour. There is now doubt as to whether winter will provide a better environment for SARS-CoV-2. However, in the winter we all tend to spend more time indoors and closer to other people. These are ideal conditions for any airborne virus to spread as we see with colds and flu. Ther is the possibility that there will be a spike over the winter. Add this to the usual winter pressures on health services and we may yet see far more problems caused by this virus.

However, panic is not what is called for. We need to behave in sensible ways and remember that the hardships this may put us through are going to be short term if we want to be here and our loved ones to be here once we can control this disease with a vaccine.

What we also need is a better response from governments plus a more joined up response from worldwide governments. This is not time to be doing your own thing or for politicians to be holding a p*****g contest.

• 1 month ago

the problem with letting it run its course is that it would overwhelm our medical services.  We have, in effect, dragged out the spread, primarily to minimize the numbers of infected/affected, but definitely also so that when people do get sick, we have the facilities to provide appropriate treatment.  People who need treatment but cannot get it will suffer needlessly and might die when they really did not need to.

I haven't seen any evidence that the virus has lost its strength.  I am not a health professional who has access to that sort of data though.  I certainly do not trust your opinion when you have the same limited access to data as I do.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Doctors don't have a cure, but two meds (remdesivir and another) seem to reduce the damage.

It probably has mutated, but that doesn't mean the original virus is gone.

Nobody is panicking

I think volunteers should have the option to go and get the virus and let it run its course in a quarantine-ish place. Some holiday-resort or cruiseship

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I think it is less lethal, because younger people are getting it. They are partying and attending events with no regard to safety. Whereas older people are being cautions, and the institutions that care for them have learned from the past to take better precautions. 

And studies have verified a lot of this...

• Petter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, a lot less lethal for what ever reason. We can only speculate.

Yeah, I think that would probably be the best we can do.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.