Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 weeks ago

Having a baby, question about mother in law?

I’m due to give birth in a few days to a girl. My mother in law keeps repetitively calling my baby “Baby Shareen” (my mother in laws name is Shareen). She’s said it about 100 times over text, in real life or anytime she refers to my baby.

I don’t know if it’s the hormones or not but is that weird or am I just over reacting?

• John P

You are not over-reacting. Your m-i-l should have made the suggestion once, face to face with you. Then not mentioned it again, especially not by text.

Be absolutely certain that you and your husband must never use that name. 

So why haven't you just told her not to do that?  Better yet, why hasn't your husband, since it's his mom?

If you haven't announced that you are calling your child Shareen, then it is very odd behavior.  Of course, your MiL being a nut case doesn't impact what you choose to name your child. 

Feel free to either ignore her or tell her to stop.  If her texts upset you, block her and stop talking to her. 

Maybe she is just overly excited!!!! And even though she knows it is YOUR baby it is her Granddaughter and she is evidentially overwhelmed with excitement! Congrats   

• Jill

I don't think you are over-reacting. Have you reacted at all? I would have had a  conversation with her about 90 texts ago. 

Clearly she is assuming that you will name the baby after her. If that is not the case  then you should ask your husband to set her straight before the big day.