Can I use my laptop in vertical?

I'd like to put my computer on the wall to manage my smart home. I don't know if I've correctly explained it, basically the keyboard is parallel to the wall.

Will the HDD break?

Simply as that, for space reasons I need to maintain my laptop in a vertical position and folded while connected to the monitor on my desk. The laptop has an HDD, so there shouldn't be any other problems concerning the moving components inside the computer, except for CD but I usually don't use those.

Yes, you can use a laptop in vertical. it will have fine but I suggest you buy a laptop cooling pad/base and then attach or keep it behind your laptop, it will be the best thing to do.

• Shadow

A laptop can be used in any position of it's axis be it horizontal, vertical, 50 degrees etc. The concern with the HDD will be with movement whilst in operation. While it spins, it has a gyroscopic influence. Pick up a fan, turn it on and then twist it around on it's axis. You will feel the gyroscopic influence in the motion. That is what a operating HDD will feel like except it has an arm inside with read heads that travel less than a 10th of a millimetre from the platters (which is where the data is stored). The chances of one of the heads hitting the platter increases the more violent the movement of the drive on the axis.

Also, keep in mind the cooling vents. You may want to make a small raised platform to allow optimal airflow or if you still need to get a laptop, maybe look at something like the Acer Spin. 

Hi 

Alex

Having an SSD is a bonus but both it and the CPU will generate heat. Plus your graphics subsystem, esp under heavy load.

The main concern is that having the top closed may impede airflow that is expected to come in through baffles above the keyboard or around it.

Plus, your fan will have an output on the side edge somewhere which must not be blocked.

One rule of thumb I use is that if the computer is operating at a temperature that you would not be comfortable in yourself, then it is too hot.

I am doing something very similar, and the only concession I have had to make is to keep the lid cracked a bit for air inflow, and to keep the left side clear for the outflow.

Thank you 

• keerok

Vertical yes although most laptop screens won't unfold 180°. There are some models that do and it should make the whole laptop lay flat on the wall.

The hard disk won't break. It can run on any orientation. Just make sure nothing pounds on the wall as the vibration can damage the hard disk (like if your kid brother's room is on the other side and he has a small basketball ring attached to the wall).

• Joe

The HDD will be fine.

Not every laptop opens to a full 180 degrees: you may not be able to wall mount it.

If there are cooling air intakes on the bottom, make sure that you don't block them with your mounting hardware.

• garry

yes can use them vertical and no the hard drive wont break .

• John

You have the right answers. The REAL answer is why do you want to do that to begin with? Use a system that is dedicated to the job. There are many:

https://www.control4.com/

If you were to open a desktop computer, you would find that the hard drive is installed in all kinds of different orientations in different models.  It does not affect the function of the hard drive.  Especially if you have an SSD drive since there are no mechanical or moving parts in them.

Many computers will have feet on on one side to allow you to stand them up, but also feet on the back to allow you to lay them down.  Because it does not harm the computer to be in any orientation.

You should be able to mount it on the wall if you want.  Will be interesting trying to type on a keyboard at the angle.

• Ron75

That should be no problem and especially if you have a SSD drive.

Ron