Do Liquor store has a rights to asking my reason for buying alcohol?

Just thought they has no business to ask why unless I have minors/underage with me in store. If I am all alone then don't ask don't tell won't get them in trouble.

Everyday I go to that liquor store with long list of whiskey/wine/beer/cigarette. Different day I bring different list. Sometimes often as 3 to 4 times a day.

After few stops, store cashier asking if I am buying it for children, I told them no.

Why they need to ask? How it make difference?

I told them reason is because all bars/nightclub is closed because of current pandemic outbreaks. I told them we were having get together to have fun at my basement at my home. It's all friends I knew from bar but because we couldn't drink at bar so we do it at my home basement. Sometime I go back get more is when I found out later who else is coming or somebody cancel their plan. Sometime friend want get together at their own place so I grab some on way.

What about big corporations like Walmart, I could do same thing but go on different cashiers at different check out every time, Walmart didn't ask because they didn't know compare with one small store with same cashier all day

They are covering their butts, at least, that's what it sounds like to me. You have no idea the amount of trouble a store can get into. The majority of them will have undercovers go in and try to buy alcohol, or bust people buying for kids. It is THEIR BUSINESS and livelihood at risk, not yours. I would do the same thing. It would seem really fishy to me, seeing the same guy come in on 4 separate occasions to buy booze. 

to ask for the law but you didn't do anything.

It is a free country.  They have the right to ask any question they want.  You have the right not to answer.

The amount you are buying is a bit (ok, a lot) more than the average person. 

There is the possibility that they are thinking that you are selling what you are buying. Would not mater if it is to an adult or minor if you are reselling the state want their cut of the tax money. 

The other "problem" might be if you are hosting a large enough group that your city/town/village may have restrictions on the number of people that can gather. 

Surely you can buy what you want, isn't it good for them!

• jean

are you buying this stuff and selling to minors?

Actually yes--the store manager DOES have a right to ask you what you're doing with this long list of various liquors and cigarettes--because when you buy like that it's  red flag for reselling it to people who aren't old enough to use these things. And he could get into trouble for supplying YOU if you're doing that. 

I think that's exactly what you're doing, too. NO ONE has that many parties in their basement. Three or four times a day?? Bull. You're re-selling. Or selling to kids. You're making a buck off a group of people who probably don't speak very good English or who aren't old enough to buy their own, and you're re-selling what you are buying at a higher price so you make a buck. I see this a lot in my neighborhood. And what you're doing is ILLEGAL.  If the manager is smart, he'll turn you in--so he doesn't get into trouble for being the supplier. 

Maybe you could work out a scam like this in jail. 

What Ken613uk said...

They have the right to ask and you have the right to tell them it's not their cotton-picking business

Anyone has the right to ask you that question. Obviously you don't have to answer though - it's no big deal!