How to get an apartment when you earn enough money but can’t prove anything due to paperwork ?

I’m 18 years old (m) looking to move out and have found a great apartment for $670 a month , I  work for my father at a irrigation company and get paid $12 an hour (12-14 hour days ) in cash , 

Since I bought a new car in cash I don’t have much to put in the bank and have as bank statements right now but my income flow is still steady coming , the property managers said I needed a paper trail of income to prove I make money and a co-signer with great income and a SSN , my father makes great money but has no SSN and my mother has  a SSN but doesn’t make much money , is there a way I can get through all of this paper work to prove I can make the money? I have all the components they asked for just in different places and need a way to prove it on paper any ideas ? 

29 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    Welcome to the underground economy.   When  you get paid in cash and don't pay taxes,  then you have no legitimate standing for a mortgage, a loan and sometimes, even a new job.      When you have a lifestyle of buying expensive things for cash and living without a legal means of support,  eventually  the IRS will pay a call and cause great difficulty.  If you want to live independently,  it's best to join us working, tax paying slobs.   Until then,  let daddy pay the bills.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    have you ever had a load dumped on you?

    you just did.

    on those application you put down back account, job, and previous.

    thats it. no paper trail no nothing. no ssn no bank account numbers no nothing.

    usually first and last plus a month deposit.

    "paper trail"


  • Amy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Sadly, when parents break the law it often screws over their children.

    If you were born in a US hospital, your parents should have filled out the paperwork to get a birth certificate and a Social Security number. Since it sounds like they didn't do that, you're going to have a hard time proving that you are a US citizen. You need to contact a Social Security office for help getting a number and ID card issued. This process may take months.

    Once you have a SSN, you can get a legal job. 

    Paying in cash is fine, but the employer still needs to have a SSN on file for every employee, and needs to pay Social Security taxes. Then they need to issue you form W2 every year as a legal record of your income. The fact that your current job has no paper trail means it is almost certainly committing tax fraud. Get out before you get arrested.

    The job offer will be sufficient proof of income to rent an apartment.

  • 1 month ago

    Both you and your father are violating federal tax laws. As an employer, he is supposed to be maintaining proper payroll records, pay the employer's share of FICA, withhold your share of FICA, withhold any state, federal and local income tax that would be due based on your earnings.  None of that is being done, so you have no proof of your earnings.

    I'm guessing that neither one of you files a tax return and pays any income tax. Well, that comes with a price: the risk of being caught and prosecuted, and the inability to get housing.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    You are going to have a difficult time meeting these requirements.  There is very little paper trail and no ssn from the guy who would need one. 

    One thing you could try is to explain it all and just ask them if they can work with you somehow.  Just ask them, in this situation what can I give you to get this place.  Emphasis that you clearly make enough to afford the place.

    If they say they can't make it happen, as a last resort you could offer to pay several months rent in advance (obviously make sure you have the $$$ to do this) and see if that will sway them.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Get a job that requires your ssn and that file their taxes. Start having taxes taken out your pay checks. 

    As long as you keep being paid under the table in cash you won’t have paper trial needed for an apartment. 

  • garry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

    so you get paid in cash , so you dont pay any tax , good tax write of for your dad , no workers comp , or wage tax to pay .after all they believe you with out a tax slip to prove you work .

  • 1 month ago

    Your father has a business but no social security number? Bull. Unless he is completely skirting paying taxes--he has a social security number or he could not even get a business license to OPERATE commercially. 

    And if he owns a business, he also has paperwork that shows you are an employee--unless he is completely breaking the law by running this totally illegal business without filing paperwork for his employees and himself--so I'm not buying your story. Where is he keeping the cash he pays you with--in a box? A mattress?  A bank would also require him to have a social security number for opening any kind of account. 

    Your story makes not one bit of sense in any way. 

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    One of the problems with getting paid illegally 'under the table'  and evading the taxes you owe on it, is you can't prove it. Would your dad cosign for you, or does he cheat on HIS taxes too?

  • 1 month ago

    maybe your father can help you get proof since youre working for him

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.