Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 month ago

What lens do I need to use?

I am novice when it comes to filming and lenses. I have a 12-60mm lens and I'm trying to film a podcast channel. No matter how much I zoom in and zoom out, no matter how far I move back, I look horrible! I look in the mirror in my bathroom and I look normal but when I look at my film, I look disgusting. I read that certain lenses can make you look bad because the way it shapes your face or something like that so what lens do I need to buy to look my most accurate self?

**I met I'm trying to film my podcast on my youtube channel

My sensor size is 17.3 x 13 mm

@longtooth

Okay, I was filming outside, so I used the sun as my light and also I have lighting equipment as well. that's not the problem. I know lighting is important, that isn't the issue so please, just provide me with an answer that DOESN'T have to do with my lighting. 

• Alan

The lens you have will work just fine. Best if you set the zoom at approximately 2 1/2 times the diagonal measure of the imaging chip. In this case, your chip sports a diagonal measure of about 22mm. Multiply 22 X 2.5 = 55mm. In other words set the zoom to about 55mm. 

Sounds too simple! A camera will deliver about the same perspective as your view of yourself in the dressing mirror when set to 2.5 time the corner to corner measure of the imaging chip. This lens settings forces and increase in the camera to subject desistance that replicates the dressing mirror viewpoint. 

The image you see in the dressing mirror is further away than you think, It is twice the distance, your face from the mirror. The secret is, move the camera back further from the subject. Also, to appear natural, light the subject placing the lamp high, The idea is to replicate afternoon sun which will come from a sun high in the sky. Get a clamp-on light fixture and mount on a door or pole so it shines down on your face. 

If the light is too low it make you look bad, Look at old horror movies, the horror is created by low lighting. 

I know what I am talking about - teaching this stuff for more than 50 years.

t    

It all depends on what you shooting... Usually, Bloggers with the podcasts on youtube use 50mm. cause in this case your face does not change from our eye view much.. It from 35-55mm. but 50mm is the best, optimal... If you shoot outside with sunlight yu better get something wider, like 70mm is easier to control as for me... If you wanna have some of nature, then the opposite, like 20-35mm... So anytime is a different story, thats why you should have different lenses (and better different lenses, not zoom ones). But for Blogging like Pewdiepie or something, it's better normal focal - 50mm or less to have more of a room behind, like 35-40... If you have a crop factor, think of it too... That's why it's easier to have a full sensor

• snafu

A wide angle view on your lens is going to distort your face, although it is handy for fitting everything else in.  The human eye is close to 50- 55mm (on a 35mm full frame camera).  Your sensor appears to be the Micro 4/3rds standard. The equivalent focal length would be 25mm (Crop factor of 2.0) on M4/3 if you want an image close to that of the human eye.  Set your lens to 25- 28mm.

• Sumi

Just use your existing 12-60mm lens at 60mm.  This will be strong enough as to not have any wide-angle distortion as can be seen here in this link: http://www.stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdisto...

Lenses shorter than 50mm distort the perspective.  By this I mean that things close up appear larger than things further away.  This is why in the link the model's nose looks so out of proportion to her face just a mere 2" away.  At 50mm this stretching of the perspective flattens out.  Beyond 50mm the perspective begins to be flattened or squashed.  This is why the model in the like looks so much better as the focal length increases.  If you want to look better than you do in real life, and who doesn't, then use a longer focal length.

Note that the focal lengths listed are in the 35mm format.  Also keep in mind that just because your Micro 4/3 lens of 25mm is "equivalent" to a 50mm in full-frame, this does not mean that it has the same perspective as a 50mm.  In other words, a 25mm lens (or position on your 12-60mm zoom) on your M43 camera doesn't magically have the same perspective as a 50mm lens just because your camera has a crop factor of 2x.

• John P

You need to use that lens at a setting of 45mm to 60mm to get good portraits. I assume that the lens is on an Olympus DSLR.

Note that the picture in any mirror is reversed left to right (Hold up a newspaper etc to prove it). Any camera lens sees you as other people see you.

How you think you look is not so important as how others think you look. It's like an expert toe-curlingly calling themselves an expert. Where the shadows from lighting fall is vitally important, so too is the height of the camera relative to your eyes. An uncluttered background is very important too. Your bathroom mirror flips your image, and that's the look you have become familiar with. Hold a photo of yourself up and look at its reflection in the mirror and you'll like it better.  If your camera has a Nikon CX (1") sensor then set the zoom to 32mm for optimal portraits. However its a balancing act when you need the background out of focus as much as possible and have to step back further and zoom in tighter.

• qrk

Your sensor is close to a 1" sensor which is a 2.5 crop factor.

Thus, your lens should be set in the 20 to 60mm range to get normal perspective. Using 12 mm will make you look ugly due to perspective and lens distortion.

Lighting is the most important. You need good even lighting which requires at least two lights. This is where most people fail.

Addendum:

Show us a clip of what you think looks ugly. There is no way to give you advice if you don't show us an image. I'll still go with lighting. Shooting in sunlight requires light modifiers. You also don't mention what focal length you were using. This is important.

• keerok

It's more about the light. 

As for the lens, research on sweet spot and try to use the longer focal lengths, normal/standard to telephoto.

You are too hard on yourself, cut that out. No matter which lens you choose you can not make yourself look like you do in the mirror. If you look at someone else in the mirror then on film, do they look that different? Come on, ease up. You look fine both ways. It is only so striking  to you, or me.

A 12-60mm lens will work for a portrait or selfie or video, use it at the 60mm end for a more flattering image. I could tell you a little more if you had told us the sensor size. If you camera has a full frame sensor you could try an 85mm lens and only buy it if you liked it. I like a 105mm myself.Edit: Oh yes, you have it covered with 60mm end of the lens that you have. Remember to keep it out of your face by using a tripod or selfie stick. We are all more critical of our own appearance than others.