Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

What’s so bad about dodging a compulsory military draft?

Many famous Americans all across the political spectrum have done it: Donald Trump, Ted Nugent, Rush Limbaugh, Bill Clinton, Bruce Springsteen, Muhammad Ali, John Lithgow, and many others have dodged the draft. 2 of those people even went on to be Presidents...

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

MAYBE just MAYBE you are UNAWARE THERE HAS NOT BEEN A DRAFT SINCE 1974.... You really should get updated on facts before posting how stupid and uneducated you are.

• 1 month ago

Ali was convicted of draft dodging, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years.

None of this is a good thing.  He was a man of his beliefs.

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nothing. If Americans can dodge wearing a mask because of a pandemic, because it's their constitutional right, it's obviously their constitutional right to refuse to serve in the military too. America is the land of the free......or is it really?

• 1 month ago

of those listed, only ali was ever drafted

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Who's to know? Will people doubt your mettle if you do? Don't fret. I know enough history to know they've been pardoned by a president. So, in the rat-race. What happens and really. Don't politicians know the system very well?

Source(s): Balance can be a mean S.o.B.!!!!!
  • Kerri
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Here is what is so bad about dodging a military draft:

Patriotism: devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.

Honor:  honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Refusing to fight in a wrong war is a good thing - whether it's legal or not. Here in the netherlands, I have met people who went to prison for refusing conscription. I mean 12-18 months of incarceration because you don't agree with killing people

I was called up, but not selected. Heck, I was an 18-year-old kid, who hadn't given the whole thing much thought yet.

I don't know what military life - even in peacetime - would have done to me. Some people liked their service time, others still have nightmares decades later

• 1 month ago

Yeah, I know that some of the men you mentioned didn't serve in the US military during the active Selective Service System (SSS). Both D. Trump and W. Clinton received various deferments, Trump's were first college, then medical. Clinton's were educational and then pending ROTC membership which never happened.

Cassius Clay (latter called MA) was called, refused and was found not to be educationally qualified for military service. His later conviction for Draft Evasion was overturned by the US Supreme Court due to improper procedures.

Don't know about the other guys. Some of the other people's information is protected by by pay walls and can't be verified without paying a fee (bribery).

There hasn't been an active draft since 1973. That's almost 50 years ago. The last man drafted is almost 70 years old. Frankly, that's ancient history.

• 1 month ago

Here in the real world, Trump was not drafted so he could not have "dodged" it.  

• 1 month ago

You shouldn't be forced to fight in a war against your will

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.