Is it possible to take a high resolution scan of a very old photo through a DSLR?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Technically, you should be able to, but from experience, it's very difficult. The copy will always be inferior. The best way to make a digital copy of a printed photo is to use a high quality scanner.

• 1 month ago

The resolution is no different than whatever the resolution of the camera is. However, taking a photo of a photo never gives as good a quality result as a scan from a good scanner. If you do not have a quality scanner and HAVE to try to use the DSLR, then it is better than nothing. You need to be able to get close enough, or zoom enough, to have the old photo nearly fill the frame of the DSLR. The camera needs to be securely mounted on a tripod or at least on a secure surface. You may need to focus manually. Do NOT use any flash on the camera or you will only have a big blob of glare on the old photo. You need to have bright, diffused, light on the photo that is not striking the photo in any way that can cause glare. A true scanner eliminates all the above issues.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only scanners can 'scan'. But you can certainly take a copy photograph of an old photographic print and use the image file in any way that you could use an image file generated by a scanner.

Maker sure that there are no light reflections on the photo when you copy it.

• Expat
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes, there are ways to set up such a shot, but it would be better to use a high res scanner if your intention is to get the best copy of a photo. In a pinch though, it could work. I did it when we needed photos for a slideshow for my father's funeral and we didn't want to take down all of the framed old photos at my father's house. They were "good enough" but proper scans are always better. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • qrk
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes. It will be the resolution of the camera which you'll need to decide if that's high resolution. To do it properly, you should be using a macro lens. Macro lenses have flat-field focus which means your image will have good focus from edge to edge when photographing a flat surface. Also, macro lenses have very little distortion.

Beware of zoom lenses that say "macro". They are not macro lenses. The "macro" designation means it has a small minimum focusing distance. A true macro lens is prime (doesn't zoom).

Lighting is important and your photo needs to be side-lit from multiple directions.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Sure. I would use a macro lens and stitch say 9 photos(3x3 matrix) or more together. People do this typically with panoramas, but even negatives can be put together this way.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.