medicare help...........?

im 58 and wife 68 im going to retire soon i get health benefits she doesnt when i retire,right know she on my health insurance,but  when i retire she dont get,, so how do i go about getting her on medcare and the extra insurance i need to cover what medicare doesn't cover

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

YOU don't get her on Medicare; she does.  She can go to ssa.gov to sign up for Medicare 60 days before your employment termination date through 60 days after.  When she files, she will need form CMS L564.  She complete the top half; your employer the bottom part.  This is called the Special Enrollment Period which means that she won't be penalized with higher Medicare Part B premium rates because she didn't sign up at age 65.

A NOTE TO STEPHEN - People who are enrolled in an employer group health plan while still working -  either their own or through a spouse - do not have to sign up for Medicare in the initial enrollment period (when becoming age 65) or in the general enrollment period (Jan thru March of each year).  They have a Special Enrollment Period (read the above paragraph).  If they sign up in the Special Enrollment Period they aren't penalized for not signing up earlier - even if it's 10 years or more.

I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

• 1 month ago

You don't.

SHE (not you) applies for medicare online or in person at any office of the Social Security Administration.  If she needs "part B", then the price may be higher because she didn't apply at age 64 or 65 like you're supposed to.

If she wishes to have extra insurance for what medicare doesn't cover, then she (not you) applies for a "medigap" from an insurance company, either directly or by going through an insurance agent.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.