Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

How do you get more omega 6 as a vegan?

I avoid oils (for the most part) for health reasons. I get plenty of omega 3, but it's so hard to reach my targets for omega 6 eating whole foods. What foods should I focus on to increase my omega 6 intake? I eat sesame seeds, tahini, hemp seeds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, peanut butter etc on a regular basis (but only a handful of nuts and seeds at most as I don't want to consume excess fats). If I eat walnuts, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, and a brazil nut every day, I can make it to 93% targets, but is there an easier way I can get more omega 6 in my diet and without consuming anything unhealthy?

Bill: You don't understand why someone would choose to eat healthfully and avoid animals dying for them if it isn't necessary for survival? Odd.

• garry

omega 6 , you dont need extra omega 6 , omega 3 is the is what you need , but again dont over do it , hate the people who dont know about omega 6 .you open your mouth before thinking .

In general I'd not worry so much about the omega six fatty acids, as what I would the omega three fatty acid. Most people the ratio is well put of proportion, more often the omega six exceeds twenty to one omega three. The ideal range is from four to one to one to four. Then you only need to be concerned with the omega three ALA, and the omega six LA. Some of what you listed, ranges from over twenty to one omega six and omega three. Others can be over one thousand to one omega six to omega three.

Avocados have both omega 3 and 6. And eating the fruit, vs just using the oil of things like the nuts, seeds and avocados, as whole foods, beats using the "oils alone", hands down.

Toss the seed/nut combo on a salad, in a smoothie, on cereal (hot or cold). Same for avocado. I was eating avocado as a sandwich spread, long before it was a "yuppy, vegan trendy thing", neighbors would aways bring them over by the grocery bags full, so there was always a crock of guac or smashed seasoned avocado in the fridge, for toast, sandwiches, mixed veggies and salads. 

Omega 6 is a fat. Obviously not all fats are bad for you but too much Omega 6 is as you'll see in the article below. It looks like you are consuming enough already.

• kswck2

You might want to try asking a Nutritionist. 

I posting cause I trying to understand. Veg folks make no sense to me..  I am eally trying to understand you folks....

I trru hiked PCT.. I had no one..  took moth in half. 2 pair of shoes.. I did it!!!

Source(s): I kill but only what ill eat.. Sport killing not my thing.. Wont kill what I wont eat..