Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Do you like cars with V8 engines? I drove one the other day and it felt scary?

My friend let me drive his 1998 Corvette and i couldnt handle it. I was panicked most of the time. I usually just drive gas saving V4s.

• Fred

I have owned a V8 before but the truth is with most countries now having open road speed limits the only gain with a V8 is you get up to cruising speed a few seconds quicker and made overtaking a bit quicker.  The truth is having a V8 is not worth the extra cost as it only makes your trip seconds or maybe a minute faster and in the city are more likely the engine will suffer from glazing and carbonizing as it does not work hard enough.  For most they are a posing machine which makes them feel superior because they have a faster more powerful car but for most who only do city driving they are a waste of money.

The days of V8s lasting twice the life of 4 cylinder cars are well past as Japanese engine builders put extra quality into the 4 cylinder engines and they became very reliable and long lifed and give good power to weight ratios.  Modern 4 cylinder engines are high powered, environmentally better than V8s and can handle highway speeds with ease.  In the city the smaller cars are easier to park and are zippy in traffic.  V8s will soon be dinosaurs in a world where the 4 cylinder will rule the highways.  Already the number of V8s being made is declining as people realize it is no longer necessary to have huge engines to have performance and long life cars.

• garry

v68, miss the old days when cars sounded like cars and had plenty off power to spare .now they have no feeling or character to them .

I don't mind cars with V8's, but new technologies have provided cars with both 4 and 6 cylinders more power/torque and better efficiency. I would say V8's, especially larger ones, give the "feeling" of power even when you are not trying to use it, whereas more modern vehicles with small engines, you only "feel it" when in use. Imagine an electric car that is more powerful than any V8, it would feel like a golf cart until you used the power and threw you back in your seat. That is your modern power cars.

• Mr.357

Actually the inline 6 cylinders have more torque.

Back in the 1960's SAAB built a V4. These days, there are mainly L4's that are inline engines and pancake 4's. They generally produce 130HP up to 250HP and more. That's like Chevy V8's from tha 1950's.

Lately V8's were given vitamins and can give more than 400HP. If you just take your time to control the accelerator properly you won't make the car run off from you. Without doing any name calling, I'll just propose that you haven't developed the skill to really drive a high-powered automobile. As long as you're scared of them, that might help you drive conservatively, but try and stay out of the way of more skilled drivers who enjoy the full potential of a modern car. There's no shame in moving to the right to yield to faster traffic. Do your best for now, but try to learn better how to drive.

• F

Some  crap here to clear up first. V4s do exist but I can’t think of any recent examples. Ford and Saab used them in the 70s and VW had a V5 in the 90s but there’s not much advantage over a normal in line 4.

Never driven a V8 (tried to rent a Mustang but only V6s were available).

Having said that,  my Subaru with a flat 4 has more power than many V8s.  

Source(s): I
  • Ramiro

No, i dont like V8's in general. They waste too much gas.

You are just a giant juicypussy - do you have a wooden right leg? The vette is nothing compared to a Dodge with a Scat Pack (392b) or a Tesla S model. The control is all in your right foot  - - wtf nerve damage? All of the above will go as slow or fast as your foot dictates.....

If the V8 in a 1998 Corvette was more then you could handle you would not want to try driving my car. It's a V6 and will kick that corvette's butt. 

• Murzy

I've had 4, 6, 8 and like them all. Yes, I've had a couple of vettes, too.

i dont remember ever riding in one, if you dont like it dont drive it