Jo
Jo asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

In the book, the Great Gatsby, is Tom Gatsby's brother?

They look kind of alike, and they know each other when they meet. They also have the same taste in women, which is common for brothers. Could he be Gatsby's brother? I think it'd add a lot of dimensions of the book if it were the case, and there's nothing to say he wasn't.

@Ludwig: Except that Tom is the same age as Gatsby...

• Marli

Who do you mean? The Great Gatsby's first name was "Jay".

Update: I "Googled" "Tom Gatsby" and "Thomas Gatsby". The only Tom that resulted was Tom Buchanan, Daisy's husband in the book.

So why did two people thumb me down?  Where is this Tom Gatsby, if not in "The Great Gatsby"?  

You don't like my reply, but no one so far has produced a Tom Gatsby to compare with Jay Gatsby, therefore my reply is not stupid and your downward thumbs are ridiculous.

BTW  "The Atlantic" coupled Tom Buchanan and Donald Trump 

I never really understood the  ''wow'' about this idiotic novel.

• John P

Unsurprisingly you have confused people by the form of your question.

Possibly you want to ask: "In the book 'The Great Gatsby', is Tom the brother of the 'Great' Gatsby?"  

Always think about the form of a question as it appears on screen, do not automatically use the 'speech form' which first comes into your mind.

I have not read the book, so I don't know if I am confusing the picture even further. But your question, and the responses, have certainly confused me.

• Ludwig

There is nothing to say he is not his long lost uncle either.

• Tina

I did hope you might have given up on this nonsense.

Why do you go on asking the same moronic question about pairs of characters who:

Are not described as resembling each other and

Couldn't possibly be related?

Oh yes. Yes, he is. Definitely. "Buchanan" is a Scottish surname, and you'll never guess what it means in English? "Stag". You know, like the big horse, or whatever the hell it is. And what do you get if you re-arrange the letters in "Stag"? You get "Tags". Not convinced yet? Further arranging gets you "Gast", which eventually takes you to "Gats". Add a couple of completely random letters to the end - like "by", say, and you've got "Gatsby". So few people realise this sort of thing. Except us, eh, Tweets? Bye.

?????????????????????????????