kitchen backsplash opinions?

Okay so my husband and I have been agonizing over this decision for months but nothing seems to work. We’re looking to put up a backsplash in our kitchen but we’re so tired of the white on white look so we wanted to add a pop of color. I just don’t want to get something that’s too busy and turns in to a giant waste of time and money that I’ll end up tearing down and doing over again. Help!! 

Just to clarify, I’m trying to figure out what color/style of backsplash would look the best!

Just about ANY.  It really comes down to your taste. Start by thinking about you color preferences and style preferences. Just about anything will work with white traditional cabinets. You have gray in your counter, so that is an obvious, if boring, option. Maybe you'd like a turquoise arabesque tile - certainly bright and unique. Maybe you like the warmth of a multi-colored Mexican tile.  Maybe you'd like a gray or charcoal iridescent or marble look tile.  

If you pick a white or very light tile, you can grout with a gray from your counter tops. if you pick a darker or brighter color, you can use white grout.   If you don't like the look of horizontal subway tile, try octagonal or arabesques tiles.  Look at the links below for some ideas.There are dozens of tile shapes: arabesque, subway, square, diamond, hexagonal, stars and crosses, arabesques, scallops, ovals, triangles, ogees, etc.There are tiles with color and pattern. You can lay tiles in alternating, vertical, horizontal, chevron, herringbone, fan, basketweave, etc. There are tiles that are metallic, glass, glossy, and flat.  The brighter and bolder the color, pattern, and design, the faster it may go out of style, but it may make you very happy.  https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+mosaic+tile+k...

• F

You can get acrylic sheets cut to size with socket cut outs in any colour or printed with almost anything , patterns to look like wood or tiles. just coloured, view of New York or a Tropical Beach or a pic of your dog...

• I care

Color schemes is important.  What is both of your favorite colors in the Kitchen.

Sometimes a touch of back splash color is good and not over do it. Many place a trim or edging to add color.  good luck on this journey,  so far looking terrific. 

Back-painted glass sheet in cherry red.

Before you actually install anything, why not simply paint it a color you like? That's what I would do first--use some paint and see if the color is pleasing--THEN if you like the color, you can search for tiles or other covering that is more permanent. You can buy small cans of paint as "sample" colors for very little money. Use one --or even two-- and try them out. Live with the colors awhile and see if the colors are what you want--or if you might prefer something more neutral.

You can also use some self-stick wallcoverings (i.e. Contac Paper)--just to try out the look. They don't have to last.  You can try them in small areas. 

I had this same issue when I bought my house. It had a wall-board backsplash that was just too bland.  I ended up buying a product called Z-brick--which was really easy to install and gave my kitchen a great look.  It looks like brick, but it's thin brick veneers that stick to the surface with a cement (sort of like a joint compound) and have plenty of texture. They're washable, paintable and sandable--so you can install them and then if you want to change the color, simply paint them later.  I got a white/gray brick. It has enough texture and color for me.  (It looks a lot like your marble countertops.) They have a website and you can see what the product looks like on the wall. My entire backsplash, all 27 square feet of it, cost me under $200. 

Another cool way to do a backsplash is with adhesive "tile" that comes in sheets.  It has plenty of color/texture options, just sticks right to the surface. These are removable later, too. They are pretty expensive, however. One package of tiles (about 3 square feet) costs around $20-25. That can get pricey. 

Good luck. I understand completely your hesitation in choosing something. You want to be absolutely sure. 

Glass tiles with Aluminum  boarders, color of tile and grout might be a little difficult with a floor that dark. 

just pick up on a lighter color from the top for the backsplash and to add your color pop paint the island cabinet, blue seems to be popular combo with the grey/white you have going on

do you have color in another room? you could tie it in. Obviously blue is in as its the color of the year and always appropriate unless the rest of your house is something really opposite. You dont even have to do the whole wall, you can do bands or a pattern Have you been to a few tile stores? Usually you fall in love with one while looking.

• Cammie

Blue and white are so classic. I love the look.Pick out a blue tile.I like navy blue but the decision is yours .

• Barry

Wall tiles seem obvious to me.