Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 month ago

What to do about a bat in my attic? ?

About a month ago there was a nasty smell from our water, I checked the tank in our attic and there was a dead bat in there. I thought that was the end of it but I went up tonight to get something and the light started flickering, I presumed it was a moth and carried on until I felt a brush on my shoulder that was too big to be a moth, I looked up and saw the little guy flying back and forth the length of our attic. There was only one and it kept flying into me so I left and said I'd deal with it tomorrow during the day. I know they are harmless and I won't lose any sleep over it but there must be a colony up there if this is the second one in a month. What can I do to get rid of them? 

• CB

Find the hole they are coming in, wait until WELL after dark and plug the hole. Problem solved.

Depends where you are - they are a protected species in Europe. You’re breaking the law if you do certain things including: 

deliberately capture, injure or kill bats 

damage or destroy a breeding or resting place

obstruct access to their resting or sheltering places

intentionally or recklessly disturb a bat while it’s in a structure or place of shelter or protection.

They are not necessarily harmless as they can carry rabies or other diseases.  You need to call a professional pest control firm.