Bee asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 1 month ago

Poetry: Is this iambic "way back."?

It depends how it is used in the line. We need the rest of the line to tell you. 

'Way back' is one of those unfortunate unpoetic and ungrammatical American expressions that would not do well in a real poem using iambic pentameter. 

I suggest a rewrite. 

• We don't speak that way anymore, so I hate that meter.

It would depend on what other words are in the line in which those words occur, and what the overall meter of the poem is. I would say it's a trochee, usually, but the surrounding words could nudge or force it to be more like an iamb.

If  you're writing an iambic poem, you can of course have feet that vary from the strict iambic pattern. All poets do that. So you could have "way back," pronounced as a trochee, in an otherwise iambic line -- nothing wrong with that.

An iamb is an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable, so since  this example is the opposite, it isn't. 

• Mark

What "iambic"?  Forsooth, I daresay thou dost not know English well.