Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 month ago

Suitable highway motorbike for a new rider?

I am a new rider. Where I live is mostly highways with avg speed of 100-120 km/h or 74 mph. I have made my choice of sport/naked bike of 400cc/600cc. How do they ride on highways? 

I’ve looked for cruisers and HD but i just feel they’re not for me. 

• Buy a Honda CB500. You won't go far wrong for a first bike.

You will have to throw your leg over various types and see what is most comfortable for you

• fuzzy

Toured happily on a CB350 Honda. It would sit all day on 65 mph & return 65 mpg. I weighed about 145 pound then & changed the handlebars to lower my profile. Later in life very happy with 500 to 650 cc Honda V twins. Dont buy a sport bike, you'll hate it in traffic & after an hour on the open road. High speed touring, a BMW is great but not so good round town. Tour the showrooms & sit on as many bikes as you can before they throw you out. Once you've found what you're comfortable on go looking for a 3 - 4 year old one that runs well but is a little beat up & cheaper. You WILL drop it at least once in your first year.

Get a bike that fits your body size.  If you be a pipsqueak then you do not need a big bike. Either will do that speed no problem. Though I find it uncomfortable to be going that fast preferring 60MPH instead as a flying insect into the head will drop you off your bike like it was a bullet.  I have had 4's & 750's all air cooled still prefer 60 most of the time.  If a cat jump out onto the road you are history.  If a DEER jumps out onto the road, more history.  You ain't gonna live outside of a hospital in either even. A pothole in the pavement...maybe you make it if you hit it right.  Bike riding gets boring fast. Rather drive a beater car.  At least I can rest my eyes.

• adam

I kinda think you would like a standard . Not a sport bike or a cruiser. The big 4 from Japan all have nice standards to choose from. Im not going to suggest a model as I have no idea how tall you are or how much you weigh. Go to some dealerships and sit on some bikes .

That's. Tough.  Try  riding a 600 cc on that highway. Then,  a Beemer or  Harley tourer  or a Road Star. You will get Very Uncomfortable. Very  Fast on the smaller bike. Might need more  torque to be safe on a highway. You might fatigue after only One Hour on the 600.

The big tourers are Designed for it, the street  bike Is Not. Like taking a "smart car" at 80  for  400 miles to  Flagstaff, there is a Reason  large luxury cars are popular

Ok, so the Ninja can go 70 in first. My 650 "said" it topped out at 125. But, after one hour at 75, the vibration Gets to you. Gotta pull over. I saw Ninjas race up Salt River Canyon, but they pulled over a Lot. 

A 750 is Bare Minimum  on a highway for any distance. And,  again; Depends  On Model.

Ron, yeah Lotsa fun flying like Supes over the 'bars to land on your back in traffic, worried if you'll  now get run over..

There are several other bike types you could consider.

If you choose a 600cc air-cooled single it will not be as powerful as a 400cc liquid-cooled inline four, although it will eventually reach 74mph.

• Ron

Sweet!! Get it  and go. In a panic stop you'll grab that front brake and be superman

• Anton

What you CAN buy depends on where in the world you are.

A 600cc 4-cylinder 160 mph street legal racing motorcycle is stupid.

The 250cc Ninjette can cruise at 85mph, touches 100.

How you ride depends on the bike.  Sport bikes have you leaning forward, weight on your hands.  Standards have you nearly upright, very relaxed, capable of being comfortable for many hours.

A half-liter bike is more than big enough to go on the highway at speed. Good choice. I prefer a bike like the Suzuki Wee-Strom with a civilized seating position, hard cases to carry stuff, and a windscreen--but that's me not wanting to eat bugs in the summer and freeze in the winter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQcrB0fIFmg

Youtube thumbnail