Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 4 weeks ago

Why does my doctor keep telling me ecstasy isnt medicine when it is?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Ludwig
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Not on the NHS, no.  Ask if he could prescribe it if you went to him as a private patient.

• 4 weeks ago

A medicine is any substance that is recognized as a safe and effective treatment for a medical condition, at a specified dosage.   There is not enough research on proper dosage to know what's safe and effective.  There is no way at all to know what dosage you are getting from a street drug, and its safety can be compromised by chemical impurities and other drugs mixed in.  So i would guess that your doctor does not regard the drug as safe and effective for any of the above reasons.   

There's some evidence that ecstasy is effective for treating anxiety and PTSD, and possibly depression.  The problem is that researchers cannot do clinical trials with illegal schedule 1 drugs, so its not a legal option for a doctor to prescribe.  Doctors also risk losing their license if they recommend using drug that might harm their patient. 

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Because it's only a medicine when produced by the pharmaceutical industry and under another name, and taken under supervision

• Mike
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

All drugs could be called medicine - heroin, cocaine, meth.  But Ecstacy has been classifed an illegal drug, so your doctor is simply going by the law.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • MARK
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Obviously you don't understand the definition of a medicine.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.