carlo asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Do you consider the pronunciation of cars and cards different?

Some say it is and some say it isn't.  Some even say that sense and cents are pronounced the same.  What do you think?  Is it a regional difference?

You all seem to be scolding me. It's NOT me who says cars and cards are identical. Look at the answer from Chi girl in the question below. S/he says that the pronunciation of cars and cards is NOT different.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

And my high school teacher from Canada told me that sense and cents are pronounced the same.

Yes. The d in cards is not supposed to be silent, so cards and cars sound different.  Unless someone has a weird accent or just doesn't speak clearly. Some people also think ear and year are pronounced the same.

Questions about the answerer are not allowed

If you're referring to the vowel "a", it's the same in "cards" and "cars."

I don't have to "consider" anything. The pronunciation of "cars" and "cards" IS different.

That doesn't mean some sloppy or poorly educated people might not pronounce them the same. But educated people and people who like to speak clearly always differentiate between them.

EDIT TO ADD: Asker, Chi Girl does NOT say 'cars' and 'cards' are pronounced the same. She says "if you're asking about the vowel 'a' in both words, IT is pronounced the same". Not the whole words.

I pronounce them differently in both instances. I suspect it may be part regional and part education level.

Who are these "some" who supposedly say that they are pronounced the same? Or are you just making this up? Is there any authoritative dictionary or English dialects or accents that attests to people leaving the /d/ sound out of "cards"? I've never heard of this.

• MARK

If the words are pronounced correctly and not sloppily they will and should sound different.

• John P

You are probably right about regional differences.

In a middle-class setting in southern England I certainly hear a difference between cards and cars. Our coinage does not include cents, but I suspect that cents and sense would sound very similar, if not identical.

• Cogito

There's a D in 'cards' which should be pronounced.

There's a T in 'cents' which should be pronounced.

Edit - about your comment about the answer from ChiGirl - she's NOT saying that they're pronounced the same.  She's saying that the A sound is the same - like 'ah'.

You're misunderstanding her answer.

I pronounce "cars" like /'kɑɹz/ (IPA) and "cards" like /'kɑɹdz/. I don't know of any dialects that don't distinguish between the two.