Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Dog won’t eat from her bowl ?

Dog won’t unless we hand feed her or put the food on the floor. I’ve tried everything from changing her food bowl to changing her food/diet and nothing seems to be working. If I show her the bowl of food she starts to look scared and then walks away. I know you’re not supposed to hand feed but like I said she won’t eat if we don’t.

I had a dog that was also afraid and I found out if the bowl scoots around or makes a noise while they eat it can frighten the animal. Try using a very small plate that you can fix to the floor while the dog eats and then graduate to a fixed bowl.

get some baking paper or something to put on the floor to put the food onto so it is clean.

• PR

If your dog is only eating if you are hand-feeding her, and she used to eat normally, she needs to see the vet. Something is wrong and she may be sick. 

If she is a small dog, consider changing to a mix of canned, dry, and water and see if this makes a difference. Some smaller dogs just don't do well on dry food-only. Be sure she is not overweight, as well. 

Put the food in the bowl.  Leave it in the bowl.

Offer her NOTHING else.  Dont try to force the issue of the bowl, just ignore the bowl.

She will eventually get hungry and eat.   It may take a few days, but healthy dogs dont starve themselves

No healthy dog will starve itself to death..... So go on feeding it in its bowl and walk away.... hunger is a great teacher.

Source(s): Your dog has trained YOU very well it seems.

My dog tried to pull this crap with us. We thought it was the metal bowl clanking that was bugging him. Tried another bowl we already had, same thing. He was playing games. This was shortly after his neuter and he liked me hand feeding him. I left the bowl down and let him be afraid and be a baby. He wouldn’t eat for two meals, then he realized he wasn’t getting his food any other way, and started eating. 

She is doing a great job of training you.  A dog will not starve itself to death if there is food available.  Just put it in her bowl.  She can go a few days without eating if she is just a picky eater.  But one of the first signs you will notice with a sick dog is that they will go off their food.  So a Vet health check may be in order to rule out any medical problems that would cause her to go off of her food.  Don't give her choices.  She will eventually eat when she is hungry unless she is sick.

I have a very large dog who will ONLY eat off a plate.  I think it has something to do with putting her muzzle into a bowl.

So she eats off a plate ...

• Maxi

Unless your dog is very young, very tiny, very old or ill, in which case you need to take it down the see the vet for a check up......the vet wll also give it  a high IU Vit E  shot which makes them hungry...

.........all that said it sounds like your dog is manipulating you as it has found you are a pushover and when it doesn't eat you run around getting something tastier and hand feeding, so it tries that again and refuses to eat, so off you run to find soething better and tastier..so not eating works very nicely for the dog and dogs always do what works..... so now you have to be strong and consistant and that means you feed it a healthy balanced diet, you call the dog put the food down and walk away and if the dog refuses to eat then after 15 minutes you pick up the food and the dog gets NOTHING until the next normal meal time, no food, no treats nothing at all and you do the same again, putting the food down and if it is still refusing to eat you lift it and no food of any kind until the next normal meal time...............and some dogs will not eat for 3-7 days before they realise they need to eat when it is meal time as nothing else is given......... so stop being manipulated by your dog

She'll eat when she's hungry, if she's in good health.  Put the bowl down for 15-20 minutes.  If she doesn't eat, pick the bowl back up again and don't put it back down until her next scheduled meal.  Do NOT give her any treats or human food in between her two daily scheduled feedings.  Do not had feed her again.  There's also no reason to keep changing bowls or foods for that matter.  If she doesn't eat for a couple of days, she will NOT STARVE.  Water for hydration is most important anyway.  If she has ate NOTHING for 3-4 days, take her to the Vet to see if there is something wrong with her.  Chances are that the only thing that wrong with her is that SHE HAS YOU TRAINED.  She's spoiled, and you allowed that.  Don't cave in.  Do please try what I recommended.