Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

How do laundromats stay in business especially considering everyone I know owns a washing machine?

I use the laundromat  when I have heavy bath rugs or very large blankets. Things I don't want to ruin my washer or dryer. 

Because not everyone owns a washing machine, just because you said

When peooles washing machines break down? They can take ages to arrive when you ordera new one. And what about people who live in hostels?

huge amount of people do not own a washing machine.

my brother uses them for his bedding as he likes hot water to kill the bed bugs

You know the wrong people.  Seems like many do not have the Large machines...or they have an extra dirty load of work clothes.  People in apartments are stuck with the machines in the apartments and sometimes they are out of commission.

Well, everyone I know DOES NOT own a washing machine, so there. Many older apartment buildings don't even have the space or plumbing for a washroom, and some complexes only have room for ONE with 300, 400, 500 units (my old complex was like that: 535 units, ONE laundry room with 16 washers and 8 dryers). And some apartment laundry rooms SUCK (another building I lived in: the dryers never worked and it took about 4 hours to get anything remotely dry, so that was a good $6 to make sure your crap wasn't damp). 

Also, apartments aside, many people have huge blankets, comforters, couch coverings that don't fit inside their machines, so they opt to get them done in a huge commercial machine. And depending on the work one does, you don't want to bring that home and fill your machine with grease, blood, concrete, paint, etc. A friend of mine is in welding, painting, etc. He'll wash his normal street clothes in his washing machine, but about twice a month, he's go to a laundromat to wash his work gear in a big industrial washer, one that can take that kind of dirt and grease.

I have lived in aptartment houses that don't. And there is no hookup for a washing machine. Or the owner won't buy one

Older buildings don't have space or hookup. Especially in older east coast--US--cities.

• Barry

It must be people you don't know that lack a washing machine then. Some accommodation has insufficient room for a washing machine.

Apparently lots of people you don't know don't own washing machines and occasionally there are some hot women there.