Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 month ago

What is the point of school pictures?

Not once since becoming a parent have I been inclined to buy some overpriced, greenscreened, crappy pics of my kids when A) I see my kids daily and B) I can just take pictures myself for free and get them printed much cheaper. Who needs endless portrait photos anyway?

naked school pictures.?

education

education....................!

Congrats! You are the tightwad of the day!

Your kids might like to look back over their lives after your sorry butt has assumed room temperature. Buy the photos for them you selfish twit.

• keerok

It's a way of documenting how your child grew. I love keeping those photos and I have volumes of photo albums (the real ones with printed photos) of my kids.

• John

The point of school pictures is to have pictures of your kids in school. Got it? Happy to explain.

• F

My son left school about 7 years ago and towards the end, I stop bothering with the school photo. Even when we did get them, I don’t think we got them every year.

• John P

Just remember not to point your children in the direction of 'Photographer' as a career.

The only school photos that I or my family found interesting and still might look at today, were the long panoramic ones of the entire school population.

They're a holdover from a time when most parents took few pictures, and impoverished parents none. Cameras and film were expensive, and the cost of developing fairly high.

(I'm the third child, grew up in the 1950s, and there are hardly any pictures of me--except those school pictures, so my childhood appearance got recorded once a year, anyway.)

Even now, poor people don't necessarily have a smart phone to photograph their kids often, nor the means to print them if they did. For some, those school pictures may be the only ones they have.

I am aware as I read newspapers that quite a few children and teens who disappear or die, therefore becoming news, have only a school photo as the official one the papers use. Clearly there are plenty of parents who do not take pictures for whatever reason.

And on another note, when your kids are grown, you will be glad for every picture you have, including portrait photos of poor quality. Just sayin'...

• JASON

It's in case the posh parents forget what their kids look like.

Memories for the kids.