How would one move to Japan if they DID know Japanese but had no college?

Does visiting Japan with a tourist visa and finding just any minimum wage job count towards getting a work visa? 

5 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago

    You cannot find work while on a tourist visa.

    Really the only ways you'd get permanent residence in Japan without a degree and a working visa would be:

    1. Be a dependent or spouse of someone legally residing in Japan

    2. Immigrate from a country under refugee status.

    So unless you marry a Japanese person or happen to be from, say, Syria and are lucky enough to be accepted into Japan as one of the VERY few refugees they accept, you'd probably have an easier time just working on getting your degree.

  • 3 weeks ago

    No one would hire you. If you did find a job for cash under the table (which some immigrants used to do) would have to leave after three months when your tourist visa expired. If caught, the company you work for would be in trouble as well as you. Jailed? hmmm..probably not. Deported? Probably. Allowed to come back? Not for quite a while.  Also you didnt say what country you are from. There are visa rules for different countries. Back in the 80s and 90s people DID come and work illegally by the thousands for a few months, then go and get their visa. HOWEVER...the company would move the date you started to coincide with your visa. Companys dont do this anymore.

    Source(s): have lived and worked in japan for over 25 years
  • Quinn
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    No. Searching for a job on a tourist visa is ILLEGAL and will get you jailed, expelled, and ban from entering Japan.

    In place of a college degree, you have to have at least 10 years of verifiable work experience. Those 10 years does not mean working any jobs, but needs to show you have cultivated certain skills to are in short supply in Japan.

  • 1 month ago

    One wouldn't; it's illegal to work without a work visa, and no-one would hire you. 

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ben
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    No, absolutely not. Working any job at all on a tourist visa is illegal, and you would be deported and quite possibly banned from future entry if caught. 

    Generally speaking, in order to get a work visa for Japan one needs to already have a job offer from a Japanese company. So that means you need to have the skills that a company that might be looking for foreign employees would want. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.