Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Can anyone suggest any light academia books that aren't as complicated as Shakespeare's comedies?

By light academia, I mean the counterpart to the dark academia aesthetic.

It's not that I want to look intelligent. I just like dark academia novels, but I want to read something that's not about murder. Shakespeare's comedies were suggested, but they're honestly to much work for me to read. I just want to read something with a vintage school/university atmosphere.

• Peter

The five books of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy.

• j153e

These are more and less comedic, all set in academia:

Hume's Fork;

Half Girlfriend;

some that are more "complicated":

I Am Charlotte Simmons;

That Hideous Strength (least comedic).

• Tina

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'light academia books'?

Oh, good grief. Well 'dark academia' sound like Goths without the commitment and 'light academia'? I do not see anything connected with academia in a question which calls 'plays' 'books' and thinks Shakespeare's comedies are a bit too complicated.

I suppose you could sit in a green meadow, surrounded by dreaming spires, keeping to social distancing, sipping china tea and reading the verse of A A Milne, but fond as I am of A A Milne, green meadows and tea I don't think I could keep that up for more than a couple of hours.

Don't worry about books, just carry a teddy bear called Aloysius.

And thank you, Marli. I knew nothing of this. I have lived too long.

Edit -  "a vintage school/university atmosphere." - ah well, you have the whole of Enid Blyton's 'Malory Towers' series, Elinor Brent-Dyer's Chalet School, and Frank Richards Greyfriars series.