Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Is it realistically possible to achieve E6 Staff Sergeant in the US Army within an 8 year contract?

4 years on, 4 years reserves? How long does it normally take to get to E6 Staff Sergeant?

I am not going to join the Army for 8 years just get the answer to this question. That's madness. Even more so considering I don't wish to join the Army and this is simply research.

On average, I think it takes about 8-10 years to make E-6 in the Army (Active Duty). But you may be able to make it faster, if you are a $hit hot soldier and are in a certain MOS; however, I think it will still take you at least 6 years. 

"The time-in-service requirement for attaining eligibility for promotion to staff sergeant (SSG) is 84 months Active Federal Service for the primary zone and 48 months for the secondary zone. The time-in-grade requirement for attaining eligibility for promotion to SSG is 10 months as an SGT, waiverable to five months for those recommended in the secondary zone. Soldiers in the secondary zone may be boarded with 46 months time-in-service and five months time-in-grade as of the first day of the board month."

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/army-sgt-and-ssg...

depends on your MOS

in most your looking at around 6 years on active duty to make staff

in reserves or guard, your unit has to have a slot for a new staff before you can be promoted-- which slows promotions down big time, you might stay promotable for years before someone retires to open up a slot to be promoted into

i would just try it and see and then you'll know