realm192 asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

If you have seen the movie "Joker", what is your take on the ending? Did you think those things happened or were they in his head?

One thing I noticed after watching the whole thing...The movie starts and ends with similar themes. Arthur is sitting in a dismal social workers office. he is smoking a cigarette. He talks about his problems with the female African American social worker she seems very impassive. When he shows her his Jokebook you can see a page with a crude drawing fly by fast. The drawing is that of a Television and there appears to be a lot of red and black ink.... I did not rewind and look close but i swear it was a bloody T.V. and at the end of the movie we see him shoot a guy live on television.

Then, I knew that the relationship he imagined with the girl at his apartment complex was in his head but did he end up killing her when she caught him in her apartment? i think he did because there were police sirens and stuff shortly after that scene. it seems like this entire movie took place in the jokers head while he was at the asylum. What do you all think? :) Oh, and what's sup with the cigarettes magically appearing in his hand ...like after he danced down the stairs he is suddenly smoking.

• Zapata

It's definitely a very good movie. I'm not into comic book movies at all but you don't need to be a Batman fan to enjoy Joker. I think comic book movie are basically just for kids and can't be taken too seriously, but Joker is a proper,  grown-up film and Joaquin Phoenix is excellent in it.

I think the movie allows you to interpret the ending as you wish - but it is essentially about mental disintegration as we witness the main character's life and mental  state slowly fall to pieces through events he cannot directly control. The ending reflects that confusion. The film is as much a political comment about human relationships and economics and poverty, as it is a comic-book story. We feel horror at how he ends up dealing with all of it, but we also feel sympathy for him throughout the film as he gets one really bad deal after another, and the world craps all over him. The scene where he stands at the gates of Wayne Manor and is abused and belittled by Bruce Wayne's wealthy father reflects on economic power relationships. In the end, it all gets too much for him , he cannot uphold social norms anymore and just cracks - and most viewers would feel bad for him up to that point.

I think the girl in his building with whom he imagines the relationship does not die. In his mind, she is the only good thing in his life and the only person who shows him any love, plus the fact that she has a child makes her vulnerable. He realises that but, at that point at least, he is not a cold-blooded murderer but rather a man on the verge of a breakdown who is searching for some hope in a miserable world. We see that he shows mercy to people he feels have treated him well - another example being the little short guy from his workplace, who he allows to leave his apartment after he has murdered the fat guy.

• Mike W

Not sure if it all happened in his head, or if it all happened as told by an unreliable narrator.