Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Does my mom have a right to hit me and my sister when she’s mad..?

I know... stupid question coming from a stupid 13 year old but I grew up with it being how my mom make me and my sister behave... And we also use to live in a country where ppl would discipline their kids by beating them..

I don’t live in country where hitting is legal-

Yes she legally has the right but you can contact the police and they might inform a place that helps children!

Nobody has the right to hit you. She lacks emotional control, your mother needs to learn how to communicate her feelings better. If you and your sister do something that she believes is wrong, she should be sitting you down and talking to you. In fact, as a 13 year old, maybe try talking to her like an adult. Work out the rules of the house together, discuss the consequences that do not result in hitting etc. 

If your mum grew up in a place that everyone gets hit when they misbehave then she doesn't know any better than to mimic that behaviour. So, as much as it upsets you, the mature thing to do is try to understand why that is her go to, then discuss as an adult to your mother why it needs to change. Then take responsibility for your actions, and discuss consequences that fit the crime.

Depends. I think my parents should punish me more. I think they should beat me till i can't breath so that i can fully understand how worthless i truly am so i can work harder to make them proud so i can fear failure even more and work harder. But in your case I'm unsure. I as a child with a parent who uses to "Punish" me but stopped due to being a good person(it was how her mom raised her) i can tell you that although i hated them... They worked. And so now that i lack much motivation to do anything i would love to have them back! Fear is a great motivation. Honestly just don't let her permanently damage you and as a rule of thumb bruises generally are not good. Otherwise i can't see why it's so bad. It help me when i was young. why did my parents have to stop? ah... I'll stop now.

EDIT: 

Also if she's just hitting you because she is mad or something that is her fault then no she has no right.

i dont think so,call cps

• Raja

She has no right to hit the children when she is mad .She can punish the children if they are naughty. If she is mad with the dad she can hit the dad and she will have to face the return. 

• Rico

Just ‘for being mad' is never a reasonable excuse to hit anyone, but when you’ve knowingly done the wrong thing and it’s the only form of punishment that works. it’s fine where legal.

You also need to realise that there is a difference between getting a (single) smack and getting a beating (multiple strikes). 

If you live in a country where hitting your children is legal, then yes, she has 'the right' to hit you. That's what rights are; legally allowed actions and privileges. It's too bad that your mother doesn't have the resources to deal with her anger without hitting you, but that's beside the point isn't it.

• Marty

Absolutely not.

No.

In America it is called assault and it is a crime.

no, and you need to call cps if theyre doing that