Would you force a child to take music lessons just because it looks good on their college application?

I've heard of this being done before but honestly I don't really agree with it for many reasons. Yeah I get that kids need to have music in their lives and that sometimes you have to do things that you don't want to do. However forcing a child to play piano just because it looks good on their college application is going a little bit overboard. Besides that, there are plenty of other activities out there that they'll probably like better that would look good on their application too. So would you force a child to take music lessons just to get them into college? Also I'm not trying to judge anyone's parenting skills, I was just saying that I wouldn't do it.

No. In fact, I wouldn’t force my kids to do anything they don’t like. Colleges doesn’t look for that in a student

• J

No kid should be forced into activities they don’t like. Some kids like music, some like sports, some like playing dungeons and dragons. Kids should be able to participate in whatever they actually enjoy. Extracurricular activities are supposed to be fun. 

• LizB

Nope. If your kid does take up an instrument a parent might have to "force" them to practice at least sometimes since developing any skill takes perseverance and discipline, but if they're not getting any enjoyment out of music at all, I don't really see the point. Focusing on other interests that they actually enjoy doing seems the wiser strategy.

• edward

Where would i put that i play guitar and piano on my application exactly?  It has nothing to do with getting into college.  Volunteering, school activities, community work.  Those are the things that colleges look for in thier students

• Jill

No I wouldn't. 

No, never. The child has to have interest.