Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Can't afford rent and thinking of moving to Baja Mexico?

Hi, I'm a 27 year old black female who's struggling to pay rent due to the virus and am considering on moving to Ensenada next month for a few months.

With the border closure in effect, would my reason be valid for crossing the border? On the DHS website it says the border is closed for tourists, but since I'll be living there I'm thinking I should be fine? 

And further info, im receiving unemployment due to being laid off, but it's not enough to pay the bills and I've had enough with my land lord. 

I'm getting some troll answers which is fine, I laugh with them, but can any one answer my main concern of being able go into Baja with the closures going on? And yes, I'm willing to just cancel my unemployment benefits to move out. My rent in Hollywood is 2,200 and I'd be more than happy to just go south and pay 1k for a beach view. 

I think you should maybe contact an embassy there and see if they can point you in the right direction

It is NOT that easy to imigrate to another country!  

Yes, you can get into Mexico, right now.

your unemployment will stop when you change your address to mexico.

Keeping an address in the US and using that will be unemployment fraud.

So you would need to cancel your EDD benefits.

** this is exactly why the EDD is closing for two weeks starting today.  To find and eliminate all the fraud that is happening.

You can't live in Baja and work in SD, when the average time to cross the border right now is over 4 hours.

And then you have the situations like Frank Aguilar (LAFD member missing in Baja for about one month).

• n2mama

Have you verified what you need to do to move to Mexico and establish residence? How will you prove to the border patrol/customs that you are moving there permanently to establish residence rather than being a tourist? Do you have a job lined up that you can show proof of employment? Have you applied for a residence visa? 

There are resources available online that provide guidance on how to move to Mexico (granted, they don’t take the pandemic into consideration) and the things you need to consider. Generally speaking, the process would take several months to do, maybe longer right now with all the restrictions, so it may not be the solution you are looking for. If you try to just load up your car and drive across the border without having the appropriate documentation in place, I think you’ll get turned away.

Without proof of rent in Baja, you're a tourist. 

Unless you hold a Mexican passport, you can't move to Mexico 

Many people have tried this in the past few months. The Mexicans will only do it if you make a proper application. It can take several months to a year before the Mexican Government will approve it.

They are going yo ask a lot of questions.

the point is you CAN'T move to Mexico if you don't have income to pay housing/expenses....forget about covid regs.

that makes no sense, cancel a few thousand in unemployment to save 1200 on rent?

will you forfeit unemployment if you move out of the country?  usually you have to be available for work once work is available...and so many places in my area are hiring...most people collecting unemployment are frauds fleecing tax payers.

under normal circumstances, even if you travel for a week, you forfeit unemployment for that week

Millions want out of mexico and you want in?  LOL