Is UPenn a good place to study actuarial science?

if so, what should I major in?

• fcas80

I am an actuary.  My suggestion is that you major in math, but take a few actuarial exams while in college.  There are many things you can do with a major in math, but there is only one thing you can do with a major in actuarial science and if you decide it is the wrong field for you than that major is not especially transferable to other careers.

But if you are convinced you want to major in actuarial science, the question to ask is how many credentialed actuaries are there on the faculty.  If the answer is not obious from the school's website, then email the chairperson and ask.  If a school has none, then you should question what they really know about actuarial science.

• Lili

It's Penn, not UPenn, as the PR office will tell you in no uncertain terms. Look at the website.  I earned my PhD there, so I know what the school is actually called. If you're going to apply, you need to use the correct shorthand for "University of Pennsylvania".

Penn is a high-powered Ivy League university.  You can't major in "actuarial science" there, but you can major in Mathematics or Economics.  If you were admitted to the Wharton School's undergraduate program (admissions are very, very competitive, because it's widely considered the best in the world), you could take courses in actuarial science but not actually major in it.

The Wharton School currently has an undergraduate "concentration" in actuary science, but your actual bachelor's degree will be in economics. And it doesn't look like they plan to continue the program much longer: https://statistics.wharton.upenn.edu/course-requir...

In the Penn College of Arts and Sciences, there is a minor in actuarial science. Major in math or statistics: https://www.math.upenn.edu/undergraduate/math-majo...