Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

What is the difference between a hospital corpsman and a medic?

In terms of military medics in the United States Armed Forces, what is the difference between a US Navy hospital corpsman and a combat medic? I know that US Army also has military medics, but I have never ever served in the Military before, so I really don’t know much. But what about military medical personnel in the US Air Force? 

YES... There is a difference as one is mostly like FIRST AID EMERGENCY CARE.. Other is in a hospital or clinic with more trained people and doctors etc.. TO MUCH to get into but it is complete different training and jobs.

• Mike W

A medic generic term for people who provide battlefield medical care.  Hospital Corpsman is a rating in the US Navy.  They do serve as medics for the Marine Corps, but they serve in other capacities too. 

• Jesere

They are Synonymous. The Navy is responsible for the Marines Medical Support.  The Marines were part of the Navy. Every company of Marines has a Corpsman as their Medic. I joined the Navy in 1975 and trained to be a Corpsman,  being female was I was stationed at a Naval Hospital stateside. I stayed in active duty and Navy Reserves until 1989.

My experience has been that corpsman is more a Navy term and medic is used more in the Army.

• Mrsjvb

Your average combat medic in the Army is at minimum, an EMT and usually a Paramedic in all but name.  Only an IDC in the Navy comes close.  Greenside HMs( 8404s embedded with Marine Ground Units) can have much of the same training, but are not automatically granted EMT/ Paramedic status in or out of the military.

AF medics fall somewhere between, based on their status.  

Source(s): My father was an 8404 in Viet Nam
  • Daniel

The Air Force has Aerospace Medical Technicians (4N0X1), med techs for short.  It's a broad AFSC with multiple specialties that includes the bulk of enlisted medical personnel.  They all are trained at least to the EMT-B level, with some trained to higher levels, like paramedic or independent duty medical technician.

• Zirp

According to some TV-series (NCIS? CSI?), a corpsman is part of the navy and may serve with marines, but isn't allowed to do some things that army/airforce medics can legally do

Generally, different branches, different terms. 

Ex: Army has "GENERAL" and Navy has "ADMIRAL." 

Or if you were to call a Marine, a soldier, then you would be yelled at. "Imma Maurine, not a fvcking soldier!!!"By the way, Navy Hospital Corpsmen are nicknamed as a "doc" (or baby doc).   

• Bill-M

U.S. Navy Hospital Corpsman has many duties on Ship or on Shore Duty.   One of those Duties is where he/she can be assigned to the Marine Corps as a Combat Medic.

• John

A Navy Hospital  Corpsman serves with the Marine Corps in combat but doesn't carry a gun