Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 1 month ago

Would you support a male relative that is interested in working in childcare?

Regardless of your personal opinion on men in childcare, how would you feel if a male relative (brother, son, nephew,  etc.) wanted to do this kind of work? Like if they wanted to babysit or work in daycare. Would you have an issue with it or would you support him?

• LizB

Of course. Both of my young son's schools have had a few male teachers and administrators on staff, and I think it's great. I think more men should be involved in early education (daycare included) so that young boys come to see it as a potentially viable career option for them.

I would feel the exact same way about it as if he were my daughter, sister or niece.

It's an important job but incredibly underpaid with little room for advancement.   It's also hard physical work and can be quite stressful as well.

There is money in it only if one has the capital to operate their own business.   In my state, being the director of a daycare requires the minimum of a bachelor's degree.

Rising wages ($15 minimum wage cities) make it harder to make a decent profit as does increased regulatory/licensing requirements. 

There is a big push to improve the quality of early childhood education in this country - while making it less expensive.   In other words, there is political risk when it comes to investing in a child day care center.    For example, in my state, there is a push to either:

1)  Roll day care into the public education system (which is not good if you're a private business owner) or

2)  Legislate caps on how much parents can be charged for child day care (which is also not good if you're a business owner).

• Duck

I would support them.  Males are just as capable of taking care of kids as females are.  Anyone hiring someone for a childcare position should definitely put them under the same scrutiny as any other provider, but beyond that, I don't see an issue.