If I phoned in sick at my current job for a week to see if I like the new one. Would my currrent employer find out?

I am thinking about going for a new job but I am worried about leaving my current one incase I don’t like the new one. If I had a week of sick to try the new job out, didnt like it and stayed at my current place, would they find out? And if they did would I be sacked?

If they did find out, which is highly likely, you most certainly would be sacked. Sacked because you claimed to be ill when you weren't. It would be easier to book a week's holiday.

If you are in the UK, your new employer would ask you to bring your P45 on the first day or NI insurance number so they can inform the tax office!

I don't think so.  Unless  they ask for a  Doctor's Certificate to prove that  you are really ill.

• Ok but find a better excuse then calling in sick, your current job may have to investigate as to why you called in sick or they may ask for a doctor's note.

Or, just ask for the time off if you need it. That way you won't have to worry about them finding out if you played hooky at your other job. 

With my job I don't have to be sick to use my payed time off.

• ?

Now's the perfect time to try it, just tell them you feel horrible, they will tell you don't come back unless you have a clean test.  Which you will get, because you're not sick.  Simple.

Although before someone hires you, they might check with your current job.

• Tavy

In the UK your new employer will ask for your P45 and NI details , how you going to get around that?

If you quit they will figure it out pretty quick.

You may also be fired especially if you violate your company's attendance policy.