Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

What do you think of a 30 year-old living at home?

I'm far from the only one. It's simply too expensive

for millennials to be able to afford to move out. My 

brother has a Master's degree. He still lives at home. 

I certainly don't see myself having a 

future here in Los Angeles. Your thoughts? 

• LizB

Depends on if your parents are okay with it, and if you've become a contributing adult member of the household or not. If you're 30 years old and your mommy is still doing your laundry, then that's just pathetic. If anything, you as the younger, healthier adult should be doing some of *her* laundry, as well as other household tasks that your parents don't have as much energy for.

He was just born a loser 

I would be fine with that as long as he helps with bills and follows the rules

Wow, a whole family of genetically defective children.  Please watch the movie "Failure to Launch", that should answer your question which seems to actually be, "how pathetic is it that I live with and sponge off my mommy and daddy".

FWIW, I don't see you (or your brother) having much of a future either.

• edward

Move away from LA.  I moved out when i was 18 and been out for 8 years.  And btw, a masters degree doesn’t mean anything if it’s a useless one

• n2mama

You say that it’s too expensive, but how much money do you actually make? Your other questions indicate that you don’t actually work, just have pie in the sky ideas about what you think you might like to do or might be good at, within your very restricted qualifications. So yeah, when you have an income of $0, it is too expensive to move out.

My kids will not be living at home at 30 unless they have had some significant personal disaster they need to recover from. They will certainly not STILL be living at home at 30 meaning they have never moved out. I am raising them to be adult, functioning members of society. And while most people would rather live alone, living with roommates and in a very frugal way is how many people do it starting out until they get established. You aren’t willing to do that and would rather wallow.

What does it matter what anyone else thinks?  If the parents are okay with it, random strangers online don't matter.  I would be far more concerned if my thirty-year-old son felt the need to go online and ask people if it's okay that he lives at home, actually.  That would indicate a major failure on my part in building his self-esteem and the ability to make choices for himself.

For someone like you it's suitable since you don't work.....I feel bad for your parents.

Source(s): Your profile question history

You won't have a future, while you are sitting at home doing nothing.

minimum wage is $13 an hour.  Working full time that is $2253 a month, allowing for $751 a month for rent.

I can look at spareroom.com and find many places that you can rent for that amount.I don't see you doing lots of stuff.

-- not sure, why your parents haven't kicked you out of the house and said "time to fly".