Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 1 month ago

Why do some baby boomers refuse to get a computer or cell phone?

• 1 week ago

I agree that they don't feel they need it. I have a flip phone. $15.00 a month. My laptops have all been bought on e-bay. Neither me or my girlfriend make less than 50 thousand a year and we have a mortgage and other bills to pay.

In my area, it seems to be the generation before the boomers that don't have a computer or cell phone, that is, the Silent or Greatest Generation.  Boomers, even the oldest ones, spent the majority of their lives in a world with computers, if only the mainframes of the 60's and 70's.  But their prime years would have been during the  Personal Computer revolution of the 80's, and Internet age of the 90's, if not later.  I'm a boomer, and actually don't personally know of any other boomer without a cell or computer, although I'm sure there are.

• KTJoe

Many are retired, senior citizens those devices are seen as a waste of money.  

Because they don't see the need. Settle down, they aren't doing it to spite you.

Why do we need a cell phone or computer. People hardly contact me.

No need for either would be my guess.

I don't like them. Having not been trained on them in school, they are basically unknown territory for me. I don't like being frustrated and the tech often seems to be glitchy, then I find myself in an essentially hopeless position. Also, I am just Not interested in electronic tech.

They don't “refuse”, they nether want nor need these things. 

If it wasn't for my wife, I could live without one... She wants to be able to reach me at any time. When I go to my cabin, I have no signal...she hates it, I love it.

peace and quiet...

Why have extra expenses if you don't have to?   The money that you spend on that stuff (which you will discard, as soon as it isn't "the latest and the greatest"), is money that I put in the bank.  Anybody can spend money.   That takes no talent.  But not anybody can save money.