Software on both SSD AND HDD?

Anyone know or have a link to a video to delete software from one of my drives? I recently got a SSD and duplicated the software onto it but dont know how to delete it from my HDD since i have my pc booting from my SSD now not my HDD anymore

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    1 month ago

open any folder, and click on This PC in the left column.

then right click your HDD and click Format.

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Initially disconnect the HDD and see if your computer is indeed booting off the SSD and functioning correctly. If the computer works normally and all the programs work, reconnect the hard drive

To wipe the hard drive, in the start search box type "disk management"

In the box that opens all the drives on the system will be listed something like the picture below

Identify the HDD  it will usually be disk 1 it may have one or more partitions/volumes

Right click in one the volumes of the HDD

choose delete, if the are any other volumes/partitions on the drive delete them also until the whole drive is unallocated space

You can then right click on the unallocated space and choose format

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

How did you get the software duplicate from you HDD to your SSD?  Did you copy the folder that has the software from a folder on the HDD to a folder on your SSD?  if that is the case, the software may not actual be running from your SSD.

When you install a program, it will write information into the registry about where to find the files needed to run the program.  Copying the files to another folder (while still leaving them in the original location) does not make it run from the new location.  Even if you run the executable program from the new folder (or drive) the registry setting will still make it use the old folder to run some or most of the program.

To assure that the program is running from the SSD, you need to uninstall the program and then reinstall it making sure that the program is installed on the SSD.

One way to test where it is still using the files on the HDD is to looking on the HDD and find the folder that has the program.  Usually in will be in either the Program Files or the Programs Files x86 folder.  Depending on whether it was installed as a 32 bit (x86) or 64 bit program.  Once you find the folder, rename it.  Add the word "old" or a number "2'" or something to the end of the folder.

Then run the software.  If you can run it for a few days within an errors then you know it is not using the folder on the HDD.  You cam then get rid of that folder (and and any subfolders under it) but simply deleting them.  The program is then gone from your HDD but still on your SSD.

If you rename the folder and then the program refuses to start, crashes, gives errors, does funny things, etc. then you are still using files on the HDD.  They are being used because of information in the registry.  You will have to uninstall the program and then reinstall it to the SSD drive.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.