What is your definition of a living wage ?

I ask because I hear it all the time they need to pay a living wage.  I really can't definition it because everyone situation is different. What it takes me to live in San Diego California is not going to be the same amount it's going to take me to live in Kansas City Missouri.    Bobby and Terry both work at Best Buy.  Bobby gets a wife and has a kid guess what he needs more money.  So how is that fair to Best Buy or Terry that Bobby got married and had a child .  If companies have to pay the employees $25.00 an hour across the board.  Supervisor ls and managers are not staying for that amount so need to be paid more.  So that loaf of bread that was $3.00 is now $30.00 so right back in the same situation again.  So tell me what is a living wage.  Should someone who works at McDonald's make the same as a security guard or dental assistant. 

• Amy

My definition of living wage does depend on cost of living, so yes it's higher in San Francisco than in Missouri.

It's enough to cover housing, basic utilities (not tv), food, clothing, medical care, and any other necessity to be safe and healthy. 

It's enough that 40 hours/week pays those expenses for one adult, or 60 hours/week pays for one adult and one child, whichever is higher. Thus supporting a kid is possible, but difficult for a single parent. 

Several cities and states have raised their minimum wages recently. The result was a decrease in corporate profits, not an increase in product prices.

When people say that every job should pay a living wage, they mean every job should pay AT LEAST a living wage. Not that dental assistant salaries ought to be reduced to $15/hour. Jobs that are harder to fill will continue to pay more than entry-level jobs.

(I still think UBI is better than minimum wage - take the money directly from profits and let jobs worth less than $15 exist.)

you could earn adecent wage working from home, passive income that starts paying out after 3 days. Definitely not a scam.

• John

A living wage is the minimum amount someone who works full-time should be paid in order to provide basic human needs such as food, shelter, and clothing.  

Your example is correct in the fact there is no set dollar amount for a living wage, as for example, prices in NYC are much higher than in South Dakota.  Your contention that a living wage means everyone is to be paid the same amount, however, is incorrect.  It instead means that the lowest paid employees who work 40 hours a week should not have to supplement their wages with food stamps.

• n2mama

To add to the good answer you’ve already received-the term “basic needs” is key. Basic needs do not include a spacious apartment of your own, a late model car, a smart phone, home WiFi and cable, and dinner out with friends once a week. Too many people confuse wants with needs and could actually live much more cheaply than they choose to. Yes, housing costs in some places are very high (in my area a studio apartment is around $950/month, which means if you make $14/hr about 60% of your after tax earnings go toward rent-yikes!), but if you live in this area you shouldn’t be depending on a $14/hr job to support yourself. If you went to the area of the country where my in-laws live you could live pretty comfortable on $14/hr. 

Its a circular argument. Nobody is owed a living wage.

Generally accepted definition of living wage is the minimum wage an adult needs to earn working full-time in order to provide for their own basic needs without assistance. 

Not every worker needs a living wage and not every job is meant to provide a living wage. 

Yes, big hikes in minimum wage cause price inflation.   It doesn't change the fact that there will always be someone on the bottom rung of the economic ladder.

When wages and prices are increased across the board it creates more tax revenue without any politicians having to vote for a tax increase.  Just think about that for a minute.