Is having a linkedin account necessary? So what if I already have a job? What is the use to have it?

• Scott

If you're a cashier at Burger King, there's probably little benefit. If you work in a white collar job, linked in can be a way to find and maintain professional contacts. I was laid off a year ago and linked in was a valuable resource while job hunting.

I use to see where my relatives work.

i don't have it, I don't think I ever will.  

• I had one for a while but I never used it, so I don't find linkedin necessary for me. 

It's supposed to be a social networking / social connection site for jobs. But it's pretty useless if employers don't use it. They tend to look you up on google or Facebook. 

For me I just use my resume and apply at on line job sites. 

Eventually you will need another job.  Building and maintaining a contact/networking list is important in the corporate world when that time comes.  

Also, whether it's inside or outside of LinkedIn, you should keep your job duties/accomplishments (resume level).  Then when you are looking, which you will eventually, you won't be starting from scratch.