Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Could I have an iron deficiency?

I’m 19 y female and I don’t really eat red meat and only eat green vegetables once or twice a week. I constantly feel tired and low, I have also noticed that my periods are now only lasting one or two days when they used to be around 5 days long. I’m overweight too (15 stone) and I’m struggling to loose it. I don’t have any of the symptoms like unusual food cravings and dizziness so am unsure weather I could be anemic. Any advise???

• Kurt

Five years ago I had symptoms of feeling sluggish and weak. After a few days I went to the doctor, got a lab test, and discovered I was super low on iron levels. The doctor recommended taking an iron supplement. It took about 5 or 6 weeks to return to normal iron levels. See a doctor, get that lab test. (ps- red meat is loaded with iron).

Besides meat green vegetables are the next best source of iron.  It may be iron deficiency if you are worried someti9ng is wrong I would say see a doctor.

yeah, ask your doctor

ask your doctor to check your thyroid functionyour ferretin levels(Hiron in Blood) and hemoglobin (Anemia).Best wishes.I dont eat red meat neither and all of this things are out of control in me Since 2007.WIth the replacement like vitamins B12,Hiron, I feel more energetic.

It is possible. Your diet sounds lacking in iron and folic acid. Dietary deficiencies can hamper weight loss.

There are also a range of metabolic disorders that can cause weight gain and tiredness.

See a doctor if you want a diagnosis.

You could. You could also be low in vitamin B and or have a low thyroid.  I'd encourage you to see an MD and get a full blood panel.  

If you are overweight, you'd be wise to adopt a healthy eating plan that includes plenty of vegetables, protein, and some good fats with a lot less sugar and carbs.  Carbs decrease your ability to burn fat, increase your hunger, and can cause low energy.  

You could as well as other issues depending on diet and health.  You would need testing.

Yes. You need to eat meat daily