Diana asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

I'm pretty sure I have ADHD. How should I go about getting diagnosed?

I live in the U.S. and I'm going to a private university with a pretty good financial aid package. The university offers counseling, and they have implied during orientation that if you have any kind of undiagnosed mental illness they would offer assistance. FYI: I do have healthcare under my parents, but they don't want to acknowledge me having any kind of disabilty or illness and shut me down when I try to talk about it.  

2 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    You can get easily tested for ADHD at your family doctor's office.  And this is the best place to start.

    If you are at university, then you are over 18 and you are a grown adult who can seek her own medical services and rely on medical confidentiality.  Your parents need never know, by law.

    And so it's up to you to decide if you want to make an appointment to see your own family doctor if you want to try the universities health services first.

  • 1 month ago

    Don't get diagnosed unless you're going to try an alternative coping therapy opposed to ADHD medication. I have seen numerous people get diagnosed with ADHD and be put on medication and it's not a happy ending. I'm sure you'll get the people saying the opposite, but please... ADHD is a byproduct of this culture at large. Find alternative methods to cope with it. You will be better for it, guaranteed. You're young - don't ruin your life. P.S. - Don't want you to think that I am not taking it seriously. I'm sorry that you can't talk to your parents about it. I'm sure it's a struggle if you've came on this forum to reach out. There just is other methods to try first is all I am saying. If you're in college, I assume you're young, so be careful. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.