Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

we are supposed to eat 5 servings of vegetable (5 cups) is this excessive?

A serving of vegetables is not ONE CUP--it's usually one HALF a cup. But it sure won't hurt you eat 5 cups of them, either. 

No, it's not excessive. Eating vegetables--a wide variety of all colors--is one of the best things you can do for your diet. Most people don't eat nearly enough. And they consider potatoes and starchy things like corn the only vegetables they will eat, which doesn't give you nearly the right balance. 

• denise

Surely its a mixture of fruits & veggies?.

It could be done in a day; dried fruit on oatmeal or cereal & banana at breakfast.

Mixed salad or salad sandwich or veggie pasta for lunch.

2 Veg with dinner & fruit salad for dessert?

This is not JUST vegetables but fruit and vegetables. 

A serving is about 1/2 cup not 1 Cup

A medium sized apple, pear, banana is 1 serving.  I think most of the fruits we buy are a bit larger than medium. 

Orange juice or other fruit juice also counts.

Applesauce counts.

I do not think it is excessive as a matter of fact most people do not eat the amount of fruits and vegetables they should. 

• kswck2

A serving is not one Cup, more like 1/2 cup, depending on how large the pieces of the vegetable is. You might want to ask a nutrionist or a doctor for further clarification. 

“Supposed” by who? I've never heard anyone suggest that!

The health recommendations that I know of suggest five servings a day of fruit and/or vegetables. That's quite different to the five cups of vegetables you suggest.

• Cathy

It is 5 servings of fruit AND vegetables a day, and a serving is a half cup. For example, you could eat a banana, a tangerine, a half cup of green beans and a tossed salad with lettuce and tomato (a chopped plum tomato and half cup of chopped lettuce) to get "5 a day."

• ?

I have never cared about what others said I am "suppose"  to do.

You can walk into a supermarket, see what is being sold, what people are actually eating.  Hot Flash Sherlock -- people are eating closer to one cup of vegetables a day.

• ?

that would be 5 cups of raw of 2.5 cups of cooked. 

• ted

Five servings of vegetable is not excessive, because you can eat two servings for lunch and the remaining three servings for dinner. 

• Robin

It’s not much. With a Sunday roast I have all my 5 vegetable in one sitting