moving out- tenant liability HELLLP!?

so long story short...

I am living with 3 other roommates and gave a months notice that I will be moving out at the end of this month. I never signed a lease to live in this house; I am a university student who thought it would be a good idea to live in a house with some friends, so at first when I never signed the lease, they always said 'you don't have to sign it, it will save you the application fee, deposit fee, background check fee etc.' so yeah, sounded awesome, and I didn't think twice.

Well, now I have been looking at apartments to live in next year, and most of them require a credit history. which i dont have because I am not on the lease.

this is where the "HELLLP" part comes into play...am i liable as a tenant???

*by credit history in this case I mean I need to have proof of a contract/lease from the previous year, and because I am not on one currently, I have nothing to show that is why I want to move out.

**by "liable as a tenant" i mean can my roommates/landlord sue me for breaking the 'lease'. 

***the landlord does not know that I am living here and I never signed a lease, so would I get into trouble for just up and leaving if I never signed a lease?

You can be held liable if your roommates choose to hold you accountable for your share of the apartment i.e., if you leave owing a debt or have caused damages that you failed to pay. That has nothing to do with looking for another apartment.  They can sue you for anything they want to sue you for, but they won't likely sue you for that which is not owed.  Nobody sues for breaking a lease.  They would sue for money owed as a consequence of breaking the lease.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

Well, now I have been looking at apartments to live in next year, and most of them require a credit history - ok, well that is standard, as is having a steady job, which you don't appear to have.  That said, if you are applying for student accommodation or applying to rent as a student, the rules are different and will be definitely be asked for a guarantor/cosigner. Not all landlords will accept students either.

which i dont have because I am not on the lease - while being on the lease CAN sometimes help build credit, as it shows your can make payments on time, certainly in the UK at least, getting a credit card, using it and paying it off regularly will definitely build your credit.this is where the "HELLLP" part comes into pls - speak to letting agencies and ask their advice. Ditto with your university accommodation office...am i liable as a tenant??? - liable for what. You are only liable if your name is on something.

• LILL

Being on a lease does not build credit.  Liable for what?

• G R

You will likely need to have your parents co-sign for you.  Open a credit card and make sure to pay it off monthly that will start your credit history.

No you are not liable.  The down side, as you are discovering is that you did not get any rental history from that place. It basicaly does not count on the good or the bad. 

You do not have a lease. They cannot sue you for breaking an agreement that does not exist. 

You are not liable. You don't have credit either. So you probably won't be renting unless you find another illegal deal.