Measuring oil?

I have a assignment question which asks how would you measure 50 mL of vegetable and why. Is there a particular way to measure vegetable oil? I'm assuming you just use a measuring cup like other liquid ingredients.

Thank you

• IvaB

You assumption is correct, Measuring cups are how you measure amounts (liquid or dry). Why (?) is an aspect of cooking method. A tbs. of oil is commonly used to  prevent ingredients from sticking to a pan,or pot.Besides that oil conducts heat,and helps browning.Add more oil and you'd be shallow frying,which is good for chicken pieces,chops etc.Add a good amount more of oil and you'd be deep frying.So,the amount of oil you use changes the final outcome.My attempt to explain may not be exhaustive,but perhaps it may help.   

• CB

You would pour it in to a 100 mL beaker up to the 50mL mark. Using household measuring devices it would be about a drop over 10 teaspoons.

• kswck2

It is volume vs. mass. For volume, a measuring cup is fine. For mass use a scale. 

• If it is a VOLUME (in your case 50 mL oil) you want to measure, then yes, you can use the same measuring cup for all liquid ingredients. 

However, it it is a MASS you are trying to measure (let's say 50 g oil) then you CANNOT use the same measuring cup, but have to switch to a scale. Because volumic mass changes depending on the substance. 

Your best bet is to post in the Homework Help section of Education and Reference. As a cook I use a measuring cup or a scale.